Feb 5, 2013, 12:16 AM EDT
Note to DeMarcus Cousins: If you want to know why you don’t feel like you get a fair chance, that you don’t get the benefit of the doubt on issues, it’s because of moments like this. Too many moments like this. You need to work on letting things go.
DeMarcus Cousins was ejected at halftime of the Kings eventual overtime loss to the Utah Jazz on the road.
Cousins picked up his first technical with 2:33 left in the second quarter. For the remaining couple minutes of the first half he kept talking to the officials about that call. He wouldn’t let it go. The referees told him they were done, but that didn’t stop Cousins. After the halftime buzzer Cousins high-fived his teammates then went over to the officials and continued to discuss his issue. Calmly, but still at some point you have to let it go.
Keith Smart and Isaiah Thomas tried to step in, but Cousins said something and it was too late and he got a second technical and was ejected.
It was vintage Cousins — if he feels he has been wronged he cannot let it go. He cannot just move on and eventually that gets him in trouble. There are times, even when you are right, that discretion is the better part of valor, but that lesson is lost on Cousins. He has been suspended by the league or his own team a total of three times this season.
Watch the video and check out the hangdog look on Smart’s face when it happens. It tells the story.
For those of you scoring at home, that is an even dozen technical fouls for Cousins this season. At 16 you are suspended for a game.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 3
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 28
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 4
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 19
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19