Feb 4, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
Matt Bonner is shooting 42.7 percent from three-point range this year, which is just a notch above his career average of 41.5 percent. While his role is shrinking with the Spurs he still has one — he is a stretch four, a big you have to cover all the way out to the arc. You know when the matchup is right Gregg Popovich doesn’t hesitate — he trusts Bonner.
But the move afoot online is to #LetBonnerShoot.
Fans have taken to twitter to get the sandwich-loving red head into the All-Star weekend Three Point Contest.
Since I grew up in New England worshipping Larry Bird, I fantasize of some day winning on the final “money ball”. I’d then pay homage to my childhood hero by walking off the court with my index finger held high in the air…short shorts and all. Of course, I realize that even if I were picked, the chances of that scenario actually playing out are about as good as Deer Tick’s chances of winning a Grammy this year (which they should!). Alas, a man can dream.
As of yet, I have never been selected for the Three-Point Contest. I’ve come close a few times, I think. I theorize that the red hair and New Balances are killing my chances.
Who doesn’t want to see that happen?
Well, not so much Bonner in the short-shorts, maybe we should talk him off that ledge. But why not him in the contest?
These twitter pushes to see a player in the dunk contest or some other event have met with mixed results. But this is a fit — Bonner is a three-point shooter, and the game is in his team’s state. All-Star weekend should be about letting the fans see what they want, and if that is Bonner launching threes, then why not?
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 2
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 1
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6