Feb 4, 2013, 11:35 AM EST
Matt Bonner is shooting 42.7 percent from three-point range this year, which is just a notch above his career average of 41.5 percent. While his role is shrinking with the Spurs he still has one — he is a stretch four, a big you have to cover all the way out to the arc. You know when the matchup is right Gregg Popovich doesn’t hesitate — he trusts Bonner.
But the move afoot online is to #LetBonnerShoot.
Fans have taken to twitter to get the sandwich-loving red head into the All-Star weekend Three Point Contest.
Since I grew up in New England worshipping Larry Bird, I fantasize of some day winning on the final “money ball”. I’d then pay homage to my childhood hero by walking off the court with my index finger held high in the air…short shorts and all. Of course, I realize that even if I were picked, the chances of that scenario actually playing out are about as good as Deer Tick’s chances of winning a Grammy this year (which they should!). Alas, a man can dream.
As of yet, I have never been selected for the Three-Point Contest. I’ve come close a few times, I think. I theorize that the red hair and New Balances are killing my chances.
Who doesn’t want to see that happen?
Well, not so much Bonner in the short-shorts, maybe we should talk him off that ledge. But why not him in the contest?
These twitter pushes to see a player in the dunk contest or some other event have met with mixed results. But this is a fit — Bonner is a three-point shooter, and the game is in his team’s state. All-Star weekend should be about letting the fans see what they want, and if that is Bonner launching threes, then why not?
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 0
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 16
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11