Feb 4, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
Matt Bonner is shooting 42.7 percent from three-point range this year, which is just a notch above his career average of 41.5 percent. While his role is shrinking with the Spurs he still has one — he is a stretch four, a big you have to cover all the way out to the arc. You know when the matchup is right Gregg Popovich doesn’t hesitate — he trusts Bonner.
But the move afoot online is to #LetBonnerShoot.
Fans have taken to twitter to get the sandwich-loving red head into the All-Star weekend Three Point Contest.
Since I grew up in New England worshipping Larry Bird, I fantasize of some day winning on the final “money ball”. I’d then pay homage to my childhood hero by walking off the court with my index finger held high in the air…short shorts and all. Of course, I realize that even if I were picked, the chances of that scenario actually playing out are about as good as Deer Tick’s chances of winning a Grammy this year (which they should!). Alas, a man can dream.
As of yet, I have never been selected for the Three-Point Contest. I’ve come close a few times, I think. I theorize that the red hair and New Balances are killing my chances.
Who doesn’t want to see that happen?
Well, not so much Bonner in the short-shorts, maybe we should talk him off that ledge. But why not him in the contest?
These twitter pushes to see a player in the dunk contest or some other event have met with mixed results. But this is a fit — Bonner is a three-point shooter, and the game is in his team’s state. All-Star weekend should be about letting the fans see what they want, and if that is Bonner launching threes, then why not?
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final