Feb 4, 2013, 12:50 PM EST
You can’t completely trust what a general manager says this time of year, because even if they mean it when they say “we’re not making a trade” things could change in a couple of weeks. An offer they cannot refuse could fall in their laps.
But I believe Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak when he says the Lakers are not going to make a trade.
Kupchak (a Long Island native) spoke to Newsday and really couldn’t have been clearer about his intentions.
“We will not make a trade. We will not trade Dwight Howard. We have no intention of making a trade. It’s unlikely that we’ll make any trade with any of our principal players. To make another change at this time of the year being behind the eight-ball like we are, I think that would just make it more difficult. The talent is there. We have to find our way.”
Kupchak is right — after a season of changes the Lakers are just now starting to figure out how to get their stars to play together and make it work. Whether they can maintain it and whether they figured it out in time remain to be seen, but the last thing the team needs now is some sort of major shakeup.
And the Lakers are not trading Howard. Under no circumstances. They want to re-sign him this summer as the player who will anchor the team after Kobe leaves. Any talk of trading him has been wishful thinking and speculation from other teams. And the teams that did call the Lakers to inquire about Howard pretty much were hung up on. Kupchak is too polite to do that directly, but it’s pretty much it.
Don’t be shocked if the Lakers make a move or three this summer, including possibly a Pau Gasol trade (although that is complex and the Lakers will not want to take long-term money back). They Lakers need more athletes for the D’Antoni system but they need stability more. But for now, what you see is what the Lakers will have to try and make a push to the playoffs.
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 4
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 24
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36