Feb 4, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Detroit brought in Jose Calderon in last week’s three-team Rudy Gay trade in part because he has a $10 million expiring contract and they will go well under the salary cap next summer and be able to be free agent players.
But also, Calderon can fit what they do on the court. We’ll find out Monday as the Pistons announced Calderon has been cleared and will suit up for them Monday night in New York against the Knicks.
So finally we can see that Calderon/Pablo Prigioni point guard matchup under the lights of Madison Square Garden we always wanted.
It may not happen immediately, but this gives Pistons coach Lawrence Frank to play Calderon at the point — where he is far more stable and solid than anyone on their roster — and move Brandon Knight over to the two-guard spot. Which is what he really does best anyway. Yes Detroit’s backcourt will be a little undersized but they have a front line with Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond, they can compensate.
Then again, the way Frank uses Drummond (23 minutes a game so that Jason Maxiell can get 24) who knows how Calderon will exactly be used.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 4
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10