Feb 4, 2013, 1:48 PM EDT
Detroit brought in Jose Calderon in last week’s three-team Rudy Gay trade in part because he has a $10 million expiring contract and they will go well under the salary cap next summer and be able to be free agent players.
But also, Calderon can fit what they do on the court. We’ll find out Monday as the Pistons announced Calderon has been cleared and will suit up for them Monday night in New York against the Knicks.
So finally we can see that Calderon/Pablo Prigioni point guard matchup under the lights of Madison Square Garden we always wanted.
It may not happen immediately, but this gives Pistons coach Lawrence Frank to play Calderon at the point — where he is far more stable and solid than anyone on their roster — and move Brandon Knight over to the two-guard spot. Which is what he really does best anyway. Yes Detroit’s backcourt will be a little undersized but they have a front line with Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond, they can compensate.
Then again, the way Frank uses Drummond (23 minutes a game so that Jason Maxiell can get 24) who knows how Calderon will exactly be used.
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 2
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit 83
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'