Brandon Roy admits he’s “at a crossroad in my career”

Feb 4, 2013, 1:14 AM EST

Brandon Roy

Brandon Roy had another setback in his attempted comeback, his attempt to make one more go at the NBA despite unforgiving, chronically bad knees. He’s not going to be back before the All-Star Game, if ever.

Roy understands where he is at.

He spoke with Chris Haynes of CSNNW.com and was honest about the moment in practice when he made a cut and felt the familiar twinge in his knee.

“As soon as it happened, in my head, I said ‘I quit. I just quit,” an emotional Roy told CSNNW.com. “That was my first thought, that I couldn’t do this anymore.

“I’m at a crossroad in my career.”

Roy, 27, said he is going to give it a go the rest of this season. Then he’ll see.

“I look at it like this has got to be the last season,” he said. “I don’t have any regrets because I know I tried to give it another season. So me saying this has to be the last season, it’s not as difficult as it was last year. I tried. I gave it that last effort and it’s time to move on. I’m at that range to where I’m at peace with things.”

We wish him the best. Healthy Brandon Roy was so much fun to watch, a three-time All-Star and you hate to see a career cut short because a person’s body betrayed them. He should make whatever decision he needs to when he is ready and not before.

1. southpaw77 - Feb 4, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Like I said in the summer (search it), retire!
    Brandon you swindled the Wolves out of millions like a good used car salesman, but think about the rest of your life. Do you want two knee replacement surgeries, quit tearing your knees up further and live to raise future kids.

• eugenesaxe - Feb 4, 2013 at 11:31 AM

He didn’t swindle them out of anything, they were just pinheads to offer him a contract.

• shanelsweet - Feb 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Why take credit for saying that in the summer? I assure you that it’s not making you look good to the rest of us. Or is that what you want?

2. zmarchbank - Feb 4, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Brandon Roy is at a crossroad in your career Kurt.

3. eventhorizon04 - Feb 4, 2013 at 2:26 AM

I hoped for the best. I’m neither a Timberwolves nor Trailblazers fan, but I always liked Roy.

But the facts are discouraging. He spent a lot of time away from basketball after retiring from the Blazers to get rest and treatments on his knees, though nothing he did could ever regenerate the missing cartilage.

When he started playing again, he almost immediately required surgery, and he’s now struggling to recover from that surgery and has barely played this year. If he’s struggling this much coming off over a year’s worth of rest and rehab, it seems very unlikely he’d ever be able to string together multiple seasons in a row.

And it’s a shame.

4. sportsnut101 - Feb 4, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Retire before u never walk again dude. Dam I know he has passion for the game but don’t u wanna be able to walk when ur 40

I’m sure u can get job with the team or in nba as a asst

5. saint1997 - Feb 4, 2013 at 5:45 AM

i think I might cry…what an awesome player and its such a shame to see a player of his calibre leave the league. I love guys that become successful not just through god given talents and athleticism but by working incredibly hard and being skilled. Roy was a model of fantastic work ethic and its such a shame his career ended like this

6. totallyuselessme - Feb 4, 2013 at 6:04 AM

I love Brandon Roy and I love his heart. If half the other guys with his potential put half this much effort in, the league would be so much better.

But dude, you’ve got your whole life in front of you. You’ve gotta walk away while you can still walk. I don’t wanna see Brandon Roy in a wheelchair. Go live life. You’ve got plenty of money to do it.

7. themagicfanguy - Feb 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM

A crossroads means that there is more than one option, which there isn’t for Roy. His knees can’t hold up, sad but true.

• shanelsweet - Feb 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Do I keep trying or do I quit. That’s the crossroads he’s at right now.

8. eugenesaxe - Feb 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Facts are facts dude. You’re done, you’ve been done. You’re wasting everyone’s time, especially your family’s.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches