Feb 3, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
The Clippers have been sliding a bit recently, but that’s been largely due to the absence of Chris Paul, who’s missed more time than initially expected with a bruised knee.
That apparently hasn’t deterred the franchise’s thinking, however, that with all of its pieces healthy, it can contend legitimately for the title this season.
This most recent report that has the team looking to add a serious piece before the trade deadline all but confirms it.
From Sean Deveny of Sporting News:
— Sean Deveney (@SeanDeveney) February 3, 2013
A couple of things would have to happen for this trade to go down, and the likelihood of each seems questionable, at best.
First and foremost, the Celtics would have to decide, as an organization, that they’re officially done trying to win with its veteran core players. That includes Garnett, but it would also mean a likely deal to get Paul Pierce off the books, as well.
That’s a bold decision, and one I’m not sure Boston is willing to make at some point over the next two and a half weeks before the Feb. 21 trade deadline is upon us.
Then there’s the matter of Garnett, and what his wishes are for the remaining years of his NBA career.
Garnett is one of four players to have a no-trade clause, so any decision to play elsewhere via trade belongs to him, and him alone. It’s unclear if Garnett would sign off on playing for the Clippers, but he’s long had a summer home in Malibu, so at least it’s known he has a fondness for Southern California.
The first hurdle seems to loom larger than the last one for this deal to be completed. But on the Celtics side, they’re probably happy to know that serious offers that include young talent like Bledsoe are likely to come their way, if in fact the decision is made to begin the rebuilding process in Boston.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 0
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 3
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 27
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32