Feb 3, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
The Clippers have been sliding a bit recently, but that’s been largely due to the absence of Chris Paul, who’s missed more time than initially expected with a bruised knee.
That apparently hasn’t deterred the franchise’s thinking, however, that with all of its pieces healthy, it can contend legitimately for the title this season.
This most recent report that has the team looking to add a serious piece before the trade deadline all but confirms it.
From Sean Deveny of Sporting News:
— Sean Deveney (@SeanDeveney) February 3, 2013
A couple of things would have to happen for this trade to go down, and the likelihood of each seems questionable, at best.
First and foremost, the Celtics would have to decide, as an organization, that they’re officially done trying to win with its veteran core players. That includes Garnett, but it would also mean a likely deal to get Paul Pierce off the books, as well.
That’s a bold decision, and one I’m not sure Boston is willing to make at some point over the next two and a half weeks before the Feb. 21 trade deadline is upon us.
Then there’s the matter of Garnett, and what his wishes are for the remaining years of his NBA career.
Garnett is one of four players to have a no-trade clause, so any decision to play elsewhere via trade belongs to him, and him alone. It’s unclear if Garnett would sign off on playing for the Clippers, but he’s long had a summer home in Malibu, so at least it’s known he has a fondness for Southern California.
The first hurdle seems to loom larger than the last one for this deal to be completed. But on the Celtics side, they’re probably happy to know that serious offers that include young talent like Bledsoe are likely to come their way, if in fact the decision is made to begin the rebuilding process in Boston.
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 8
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 13
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 20
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 34