Kyrie Irving scores 35 points, hits huge shots down the stretch to beat Thunder (VIDEO)

Feb 3, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT

The Cavaliers aren’t supposed to be able to take down a team like the Thunder. But when you have Kyrie Irving making shots like these down the stretch, anything is possible.

Irving scored 35 points on the night, but 13 of those came in the final 2:52, with the game on the line and the defense focused solely on stopping him.

It was an extremely impressive performance by Irving, and you could tell he earned the respect of Russell Westbrook, as the two shared an embrace that lasted a few seconds after the final buzzer had sounded.

1. tampajoey - Feb 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM

He’s 20 years old and only getting better. Ice in his veins and loves taking the last shot.

2. nbascreed - Feb 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM

1. Not sure what I enjoyed more, watching Kyrie put on a brilliant display of ballhandling and scoring or listening to the kick-ass play by play call. “Right down Euclid!”

2. Kyrie is one of 7 players in the league right now with juice. A potent combo of high skill level, elite physical talent (e.g. quicks, speed, elevation, length) and moxie. I’ll never forget the disappoint of watching the Wolves lose the #1 pick to the Cavs. Everyone was skeptical after his short stint at Duke, but not me. I saw enough in those 11 games to know the kid was nice.

ktgotgame.com

3. clevelandschronic2 - Feb 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Top 4 pg right now. I Can’t Imagine how great this kid is gonna be in another year or two. Already starting the all-star game in yr 2. The guy is So clutch. He is exactly what Cleveland needs and its refreshing to see him so thrilled to in Cleveland and apart of the Cavs.

• badintent - Feb 4, 2013 at 12:31 AM

one of the top 5 players in the East. Bar none. I said this 2 weeks ago.I stand on my statement. Dolan better sign him for Knicks or end up on The Waterfront.

4. clevelandschronic2 - Feb 3, 2013 at 3:44 PM

^ ** to be in Cleveland(damn iphone)

5. dangernearing - Feb 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Wow! Good players dont last in Clevland too long.

6. freemantowilliams - Feb 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Man if he stays healthy he’ll def go down as a great. Didn’t think I’d ever want to watch a Cleveland game again after lebron left.

7. daddyghi - Feb 3, 2013 at 5:00 PM

westbrook looked like an orange traffic cone…

8. dysraw1 - Feb 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM

He’s a bad bad man, just wish he could get afew more dimes per game

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches