Feb 3, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Gregg Popovich locked up the head coaching spot for the Western Conference All-Stars a few days ago, by ensuring that his Spurs will have the best record in the conference after the Feb. 3 deadline has passed.
In the East, however, it’s going to come down to the final day.
After the Knicks put a beating on the embarrassment that is the Sacramento Kings on Saturday, New York found itself with a record of 30-15, just percentage points back of Miami for first place in the Eastern Conference standings.
The Heat sit at 29-14, and play in Toronto on Sunday against the Raptors. If Miami wins, Erik Spoelstra will coach the Eastern Conference All-Stars. If they lose, Mike Woodson will have to cancel his vacation.
Woodson said he won’t watch the game and admitted he already has plane reservations for a warm-weather city for the weekend. But he said he would be happy to divert to Houston.
“If Miami happens to slip up and lose [today], we go to Houston to coach the All-Star team,’’ Woodson said. “That will be a great achievement for me. It will be an honor.’’
Woodson would certainly be fine with a midseason vacation, but make no mistake — he’d much rather spend that weekend in Houston.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29