Feb 3, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
Erik Spoelstra locked up the honor of coaching the Eastern Conference in the NBA All-Star game, thanks to the Heat’s 100-85 victory over the Raptors on Sunday.
The Heat clinched the conference’s best record through Feb. 3 with the win, which was the deadline the league had in place for making the coaching selection. Miami finished with a 30-14 record that put them in first place in the East, a half-game ahead of the New York Knicks.
The bright side for Knicks coach Mike Woodson is that now he can keep those vacation plans.
As for the game Miami won to clinch the honor for Spoelstra, the first half was a struggle, and it looked as though it might have been another one of those road games that the Heat have had trouble competing in all season long. Despite owning the top record in the conference, the Heat came into this one with just a .500 road record of 11-11 on the season.
The defensive intensity that has eluded the Heat for much of the season was on display in the second half, as Miami outscored Toronto 56-35 after the break, while holding the Raptors to 29.7 percent shooting.
Rudy Gay had another strong performance in his second game with his new team, this time getting the start and finishing with a team-high 29 points. Miami’s defense got to him too in the second half, however, where he was able to make just three of his 11 shots over the game’s final two periods.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 6
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 5
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 34
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 9
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40