Feb 3, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
Greg Oden is going to get one more shot on an NBA roster. Not this season, and if we really ever do see him on the court remains to be seen, but some team is going to sign him in the coming weeks and help him through the rest of his rehab in hopes that he can play some off the bench next season.
It is thought Cleveland and Miami are the front runners for his services, but don’t through Boston out of the mix.
Celtics GM Danny Ainge said he met with Oden Saturday and it went well, reports A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com.
“It was just a chance to get to know Greg a little better,” Ainge, president of basketball operations, told CSNNE.com on Saturday. “We meet with free agents all the time…
“It was a good conversation,” said Ainge, who added that no contract offer was made to Oden. “When he has been healthy, he has been a good player in our league. Like I said, this was just a chance for us to get to know him better. That’s all.”
Oden is never going to live up to the hype of being the No. 1 overall pick, the guy taken in front of Kevin Durant. Not after three microfracture knee surgeries and seven overall. But as Ainge said, when healthy he’s been good and if he can get back to giving a team solid minutes every night off the bench that has real value in this league. Especially for a team that can play small at times like Boston. It’s worth a conversation and if it comes to that a small contract.
Smart money says he still lands in Cleveland. He’s an Ohio State guy (he’s still taking classes there) and they are under the cap and can offer a little more than the league minimum.
Wherever he lands, I hope it works out for him.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 9
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 5
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)