Feb 2, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
The state of limbo surrounding where the Sacramento Kings will play next season looks like it is going to trickle down to the roster.
As in, don’t expect any changes or big moves from the Kings at the trade deadline. With a lame-duck GM (no matter who owns the team by next season) and a lot of big organizational questions to yet be answered, the Kings are not going to be making a big move.
As for Evans? Word is the Grizzlies would have loved to acquire him as part of the big trade that sent Gay away, but the Kings really aren’t in a position to take on salary as they await clarification on who’ll be buying the team from the Maloof brothers.
A couple of teams consulted have volunteered the notion that Kings GM Geoff Petrie is ready to move Evans, but you have to wonder how much shot-calling Petrie can do at the minute. The greater likelihood is that the Kings don’t do anything at this deadline unless it saves money or comes in cash neutral.
Evans is a restricted free agent this summer and the Kings new ownership — whoever it is — may just let the market determine Evans next contract and decide if that is something they want to match. The former Rookie of the Year has not lived up to the promise of that season but has come closer to it this season than any since that first campaign.
Look for the Kings to be quiet in the front office while lawyers in suits get paid hundreds of dollars an hour to argue over where the team will play its games next season, Seattle or Sacramento.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 7
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7