Feb 2, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
The Orlando Magic are in a full-fledged rebuilding situation, which doesn’t lend itself to signing veteran role players in free agency during the offseason.
This is just one of the factors that makes it extremely likely that J.J Redick is expected to be dealt before the feb. 21 trade deadline passes.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
The Orlando sharpshooter is the player, with [Rudy Gay] off the board, most teams cite when asked to name a player who will definitely be dealt between now and the deadline.
Our old friend Ric Bucher recently reported that the Magic want draft considerations or a quality young player still on his rookie contract if they’re going to part with Redick …
All of this makes perfect sense.
Redick is in the middle of his best statistical year ever, averaging 15.4 points, 2.3 rebounds, and 4.4 assists, while shooting 45.6 percent from the field — numbers which are all career-highs. He also shoots 40.5 percent from three-point distance, while sitting at seventh in attempts for the season.
The only holdup for a team wanting to deal for Redick would likely be the negotiation to determine what his value should be beyond this season. Redick will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, so no one will give up legitimate assets for him unless they can be assured they can retain his services at a reasonable price.
The best fit might be for a team that has championship aspirations to give up a draft pick or a young player buried on its bench. Redick could be merely a rental at that point, with the team potentially benefiting short-term by adding some firepower, and the player getting the opportunity to build his free agent value, while contributing meaningful minutes to a team making a run deep into the playoffs.
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 9
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 29
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 42
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24