Feb 2, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
The Orlando Magic are in a full-fledged rebuilding situation, which doesn’t lend itself to signing veteran role players in free agency during the offseason.
This is just one of the factors that makes it extremely likely that J.J Redick is expected to be dealt before the feb. 21 trade deadline passes.
From Marc Stein of ESPN.com:
The Orlando sharpshooter is the player, with [Rudy Gay] off the board, most teams cite when asked to name a player who will definitely be dealt between now and the deadline.
Our old friend Ric Bucher recently reported that the Magic want draft considerations or a quality young player still on his rookie contract if they’re going to part with Redick …
All of this makes perfect sense.
Redick is in the middle of his best statistical year ever, averaging 15.4 points, 2.3 rebounds, and 4.4 assists, while shooting 45.6 percent from the field — numbers which are all career-highs. He also shoots 40.5 percent from three-point distance, while sitting at seventh in attempts for the season.
The only holdup for a team wanting to deal for Redick would likely be the negotiation to determine what his value should be beyond this season. Redick will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, so no one will give up legitimate assets for him unless they can be assured they can retain his services at a reasonable price.
The best fit might be for a team that has championship aspirations to give up a draft pick or a young player buried on its bench. Redick could be merely a rental at that point, with the team potentially benefiting short-term by adding some firepower, and the player getting the opportunity to build his free agent value, while contributing meaningful minutes to a team making a run deep into the playoffs.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 3
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 12
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 15
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43