Feb 2, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Next week the names of the participants in all the Saturday All-Star events — the Dunk Contest, the Three Point Contest, the Skills Competition and that other stuff we suffer through — will be released. But in the next few days some names will start to leak out.
Names like Damian Lillard.
He will be part of the Skills Challenge, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
Portland Trail Blazers rookie standout Damian Lillard has been invited to participate in the NBA All-Star Weekend Skills Challenge during All-Star Weekend in Houston, CSNNW.com has learned.
According to a person close to the rookie point guard, the three-time Rookie of the Month has every intention of accepting the invitation.
In case you forgot, the skills competition is where the games best ball handlers make a layup, dribble around some mannequins, pass through a tire and otherwise show off their fundamentals.
The event usually features some of the league’s top point guards. Lillard is in that group already.
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 25
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 76
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 16
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14