Michael Kidd-Gilchrist leaves on a stretcher after suffering a head injury against the Rockets (VIDEO)
Feb 2, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
Anytime a player leaves on a stretcher as a precaution, the injury sustained has to be considered to be extremely serious. It’s just that it didn’t look that way initially in the case of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.
MKG took a knee to the back of the head from teammate Jeff Taylor, as he went up to defend a fast break layup from Toney Douglas. He remained on the floor for several minutes, as members from both teams’ training staff attended to his injury.
Eventually, Kidd-Gilchrist was secured to a stretcher and carted off, with no visible signs of movement as he exited the arena. We obviously wish him nothing but the best, and we’ll provide an update just as soon as we get word of his condition.
Feb. 3, 12:15 a.m. ET: Here’s a brief update from Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer:
“The good news: Kidd-Gilchrist was talking and moving his extremities before being carted to the ambulance. Not much more was known in the post-game locker room.”
And more from Bonnell via his Twitter account:
“BREAKING: Bobcats rookie Michael Kidd-Gilchrist diagnosed with a concussion. Will spend night in Houston hospital.”
“X-ray and CT scan showed no additional head and neck injuries. However, NBA now has a concussion protocol that MKG must pass before playing.”
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2