Michael Kidd-Gilchrist leaves on a stretcher after suffering a head injury against the Rockets (VIDEO)
Feb 2, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
Anytime a player leaves on a stretcher as a precaution, the injury sustained has to be considered to be extremely serious. It’s just that it didn’t look that way initially in the case of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.
MKG took a knee to the back of the head from teammate Jeff Taylor, as he went up to defend a fast break layup from Toney Douglas. He remained on the floor for several minutes, as members from both teams’ training staff attended to his injury.
Eventually, Kidd-Gilchrist was secured to a stretcher and carted off, with no visible signs of movement as he exited the arena. We obviously wish him nothing but the best, and we’ll provide an update just as soon as we get word of his condition.
Feb. 3, 12:15 a.m. ET: Here’s a brief update from Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer:
“The good news: Kidd-Gilchrist was talking and moving his extremities before being carted to the ambulance. Not much more was known in the post-game locker room.”
And more from Bonnell via his Twitter account:
“BREAKING: Bobcats rookie Michael Kidd-Gilchrist diagnosed with a concussion. Will spend night in Houston hospital.”
“X-ray and CT scan showed no additional head and neck injuries. However, NBA now has a concussion protocol that MKG must pass before playing.”
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 0
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 0
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 10
- The Extra Pass: Deron Williams is the difference for Nets; plus Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA grades: Any more questions for LaMarcus Aldridge? Didn’t think so. 5
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)