Michael Kidd-Gilchrist leaves on a stretcher after suffering a head injury against the Rockets (VIDEO)
Feb 2, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
Anytime a player leaves on a stretcher as a precaution, the injury sustained has to be considered to be extremely serious. It’s just that it didn’t look that way initially in the case of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.
MKG took a knee to the back of the head from teammate Jeff Taylor, as he went up to defend a fast break layup from Toney Douglas. He remained on the floor for several minutes, as members from both teams’ training staff attended to his injury.
Eventually, Kidd-Gilchrist was secured to a stretcher and carted off, with no visible signs of movement as he exited the arena. We obviously wish him nothing but the best, and we’ll provide an update just as soon as we get word of his condition.
Feb. 3, 12:15 a.m. ET: Here’s a brief update from Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer:
“The good news: Kidd-Gilchrist was talking and moving his extremities before being carted to the ambulance. Not much more was known in the post-game locker room.”
And more from Bonnell via his Twitter account:
“BREAKING: Bobcats rookie Michael Kidd-Gilchrist diagnosed with a concussion. Will spend night in Houston hospital.”
“X-ray and CT scan showed no additional head and neck injuries. However, NBA now has a concussion protocol that MKG must pass before playing.”
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 10
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 7
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 10
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0