Feb 1, 2013, 12:21 AM EST
With the Mavericks playing for the last shot of the half as point guard Darren Collison dribbled down the clock at the top of the arc, Carter hung out in the corner, and appeared to be reaching down to check on an injury that may have occurred on a previous possession.
As it turned out, Carter was just fine.
Barnes checked on him a couple of times, but decided that Carter was indeed banged up and was going to sit this play out. So naturally, he went to help and double Elton Brand once he received the pass in the paint from Collison.
That’s when Carter made his move, cutting baseline and going up for the wide-open, two-handed slam dunk after receiving the perfect pass from Brand.
To be fair, Carter did appear to be in some pain, as evidenced by the fact that he made sure to come down gently from the rim before delivering his motorcycle-style celebration a little more softly than usual. But Barnes now knows that as long as a player remains on the court, he needs to be dealt with defensively — even if that player is acting like he’s too injured to participate.
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 2
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 1
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6