Feb 1, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT
This shouldn’t come as a surprise. If you read ProBasketballTalk’s story on the injury from Brett Pollakoff, who was in the Lakers’ locker room after the loss to the Suns, you’d know Dwight Howard was in a lot of pain.
Howard will sit out Friday night when the Lakers take on the Minnesota Timberwolves, something first tweeted Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. The Lakers have since confirmed this.
Howard has been playing through the pain of a torn labrum in his left shoulder. He’s been hoping that treatment and rest would keep the pain manageable and he could play through it and not need surgery. However, he missed three games earlier with the injury, had to leave one game early after his shoulder ran into Rudy Gay on a pick, and now he will miss at least one game this time. The injury was aggravated in Phoenix when he tried to bring his arms up for a shot and was fouled across the arms — the strain on his shoulder caused him instant pain.
“It’s real sore,” Howard said after the game. “Everything on this (right) side is hurting pretty bad right now….
“Numbness just went all down my arm and my neck,” he said of what he felt at the moment it was aggravated. “It was pretty bad when it happened.”
This could be more than just one game he misses.
Friday night is the second game of the Lakers Grammy road trip, when the music award show kicks them (and the Clippers) out of Staples Center for two weeks. The Lakers had won three games in a row before the trip started but suffered an ugly come-from-ahead loss to Phoenix, with the Suns comeback coinciding with when Howard went out.
Pau Gasol will get the start at center. That shouldn’t hurt the Lakers offense much but Howard has been much better on the defensive end in terms of protecting the paint. The break for the Lakers is that Minnesota is banged up, too, and will be without Kevin Love.
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 0
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 4
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 21
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 45
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement