Feb 1, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
Dwight Howard is trying to avoid surgery on his shoulder — he does not have a complete tear of the labrum in his shoulder. He doesn’t want another summer of rehab, especially one where he is a free agent. His shoulder can be painful when aggravated but it’s something that after a couple days rest and treatment would subside and he could go back to playing.
The problem is Dwight Howard plays a physical game — guys are going to hack him across the arms when he goes up pretty much every time and try to send him to the line. You want Howard to shoot free throws, not dunk.
Which is what happened Wednesday night in Phoenix and it sent Howard out for the rest of the game with shoulder pain. Howard will not play Friday night for L.A. against Minnesota.
In fact, he’ll be back in Los Angeles — the Lakers sent Howard back to Los Angeles to get Platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP) on his shoulder, the team announced on Friday (check out the twitter account of Lakers reporter Mike Trudell).
Howard will rejoin the team on Sunday in Detroit, although smart money says the next game he plays is next Tuesday against Brooklyn. At the earliest.
PRP uses the patent’s own blood, taking the healing platelets spun out of the blood and injected back into an area to help heal cartilage. It is basically what Kobe Bryant has done on his knees (although that is reportedly a modified version of the procedure).
The Lakers hope that, rest and strengthening the area will help lessen the chance of injury. Although I’m not really sure how much stronger you can make Dwight Howard’s shoulders. Those things are massive. Still, Howard and the Lakers are going this path rather than surgery for now.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 21
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14