Feb 1, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
Dwight Howard is trying to avoid surgery on his shoulder — he does not have a complete tear of the labrum in his shoulder. He doesn’t want another summer of rehab, especially one where he is a free agent. His shoulder can be painful when aggravated but it’s something that after a couple days rest and treatment would subside and he could go back to playing.
The problem is Dwight Howard plays a physical game — guys are going to hack him across the arms when he goes up pretty much every time and try to send him to the line. You want Howard to shoot free throws, not dunk.
Which is what happened Wednesday night in Phoenix and it sent Howard out for the rest of the game with shoulder pain. Howard will not play Friday night for L.A. against Minnesota.
In fact, he’ll be back in Los Angeles — the Lakers sent Howard back to Los Angeles to get Platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP) on his shoulder, the team announced on Friday (check out the twitter account of Lakers reporter Mike Trudell).
Howard will rejoin the team on Sunday in Detroit, although smart money says the next game he plays is next Tuesday against Brooklyn. At the earliest.
PRP uses the patent’s own blood, taking the healing platelets spun out of the blood and injected back into an area to help heal cartilage. It is basically what Kobe Bryant has done on his knees (although that is reportedly a modified version of the procedure).
The Lakers hope that, rest and strengthening the area will help lessen the chance of injury. Although I’m not really sure how much stronger you can make Dwight Howard’s shoulders. Those things are massive. Still, Howard and the Lakers are going this path rather than surgery for now.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 21
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 18
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead