Feb 1, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Delonte West wants to get back to the NBA, but he’s not going to do it via the D-League.
West was let go by the Mavericks during training camp — they suspended him twice for conduct detrimental to the team before doing so — and no team has picked him up. The D-League was a chance to prove to teams he could be a good teammate and still produce on the court.
According to a source with knowledge of West’s thinking, the troubled combo guard has decided not to play in the D-League against the advisement of his representation. West is represented by agent Dan Fegan. The source said that NBA teams have been reluctant to bring in West, even on a 10-day contract, until he gets back on the court and they see him play. The Memphis Grizzlies recently kicked around the idea of offering West a 10-day contract, but no offer materialized….
West reportedly wanted to join the Legends with hopes that he could show the Mavs he was ready to be a part of their team again. However, last Friday night Mavs owner Mark Cuban made it clear that he had no intention of bringing back West. Dallas signed veteran guard Mike James last Sunday for the remainder of the season after he exhausted two 10-day contracts.
West is not going to be a Maverick again, that ship has sailed.
But if he’s going to be an NBA player again he’s going to have to prove to a team that he is physically and more important mentally ready for that challenge. This move certainly doesn’t inspire confidence.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 4
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 36
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte