Feb 1, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT
With Rajon Rondo out for the season and three weeks to the trade deadline, all eyes in Boston fall on GM Danny Ainge:
Ainge was on WEEI radio and said he doesn’t want to trade Pierce, but…
Here’s the transcript, via Celtics Hub. Ainge was asked if he has talked to Pierce about a trade:
“No, because nothing has been talked about with Paul or discussed. Nothing is close to being done. I too, would like to see Paul Pierce retire as a Celtic. That would be great. We are all attached to Paul. He’s been great for the city, the franchise, each of us individually, he’s been a true pro. Having said that, if something came up I would talk to Paul, but my job is do what’s best for the Boston fans, and what’s best for the Boston Celtic team, regardless of my personal ties and personal relationships with players.”
Ainge never shows his cards in these interviews but I believe him here. He doesn’t want to trade Pierce, but if some team calls up with a great offer he has to consider it. That’s what any GM should do.
But when it comes time to pull the trigger on a guy the franchise and fan base is sentimentally attached to (plus can still play the game), that’s another story. I just don’t see him trading Pierce. The thought of him in a color other than green just seems wrong.
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 12
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 19
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 52
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22