Feb 1, 2013, 2:38 PM EDT
Yes, that deserved a suspension — you go at a guy’s neck, you get ejected and suspended for a game.
The league officially suspended the Clippers Matt Barnes one game for his flagrant foul II on Gregg Stiemsma of the Minnesota Timberwolves on Wednesday. Barnes will sit out the Clippers game Friday night against Toronto.
The incident happened with 8:26 left in the second quarter. Barnes ran into a screen set by Stiemsma and took offense at… I don’t know what. That looked like a pretty standard NBA high screen. But Barnes went at his neck and the second he did you knew he would get suspended.
For my money, Stiemsma should have been ejected and should be suspended for the blatant mid-air push he gave Grant Hill later that game. Stiemsma only got a flagrant I on that call, I have no real idea why.
Friday night will see a couple shorthanded teams in Toronto — the Clippers will again be without Chris Paul and now Barnes. The Raptors traded away point guard Jose Calderon but will not have Rudy Gay suited up for this game yet.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 8
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 30