Feb 1, 2013, 2:38 PM EDT
Yes, that deserved a suspension — you go at a guy’s neck, you get ejected and suspended for a game.
The league officially suspended the Clippers Matt Barnes one game for his flagrant foul II on Gregg Stiemsma of the Minnesota Timberwolves on Wednesday. Barnes will sit out the Clippers game Friday night against Toronto.
The incident happened with 8:26 left in the second quarter. Barnes ran into a screen set by Stiemsma and took offense at… I don’t know what. That looked like a pretty standard NBA high screen. But Barnes went at his neck and the second he did you knew he would get suspended.
For my money, Stiemsma should have been ejected and should be suspended for the blatant mid-air push he gave Grant Hill later that game. Stiemsma only got a flagrant I on that call, I have no real idea why.
Friday night will see a couple shorthanded teams in Toronto — the Clippers will again be without Chris Paul and now Barnes. The Raptors traded away point guard Jose Calderon but will not have Rudy Gay suited up for this game yet.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18