Jan 31, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• If you read one thing this week, it should be Matt Moore at CBS’s Eye on Basketball talking defense with Andre Iguodala, one of the game’s best perimeter defenders. Sure, Iguodala is long-armed, athletic and has the physical characteristics needed to be a great defender, but read this and you see how much of what he does is mental. It’s about preparation before the game then awareness in it. Fantastic read. Especially be sure to watch the video narrations.
• A fun look at how seven first-time NBA All-Stars got there.
• A lot of Knicks players get around in mini-vans.
• Hall of Famer Robert Parish says he wants to get into coaching but can’t get a foot in the door. Or a phone call returned.
• A lot of talk about if the Lakers can still make the playoffs, but what about the Mavericks?
• And we leave you with one Tayshaun Prince fan learning about his boy getting traded then taking off his Pistons 22 jersey:
Oct 23, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
No. 6 pick in 2013 NBA draft readying to play for 76ers
Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Bulls center had knee surgery this offseason
Oct 23, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Cavaliers show up Grizzlies
Oct 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Heat coach attempting to win first playoff series without LeBron James
Oct 23, 2014, 2:22 AM EDT
The Knicks still run some isolation.
Kobe Bryant on Julius Randle playing with Kobe, for Byron Scott: ‘If you f— this up, you’re a really big idiot’
Oct 23, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
Lakers star likes dropping I bombs
Oct 22, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
No charges have been filed.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
J Crossover up close and personal.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
Rockets downgraded Parsons, but he’ll have a chance to reach new heights with Mavericks
Oct 22, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Lakers forward also says he’s quit drinking alcohol
Oct 22, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Stephen Curry takes advantage
Oct 22, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
Phil Jackson has spoken to the media more than the previous three GMs ever did, I think.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
“ We still have roughly a third of our teams that are not profitable under the current system, despite revenue sharing.” —Adam Silver
Oct 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Oddest vote of the survey — 10.7 percent of GMs thought Chicago had a better offseason than Cleveland.
Jeff Van Gundy: Confusing a system (like the Triangle Offense) with reason for success is ‘a huge mistake’
Oct 22, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
Van Gundy says players are responsible for wins and losses, not systems — like the one Phil Jackson is bringing to the Knicks this season.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
This could be the year a big man breaks the string of guards winning the award.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Pierce played 15 years for the Celtics, but is now with his second new team in as many seasons with the Wizards.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
Boston is hoping to get an asset in return for Bynum instead of simply waiving him.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
There are plenty more interesting tidbits in the league’s annual survey.
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 18
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 45
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23