Jan 31, 2013, 9:36 PM EDT
UPDATE 9:36 pm: As expected, coach Mark Jackson made it official, Stephen Curry will not play Thursday night against Dallas.
As we detailed earlier today, this was to be expected. The Warriors are going to be cautious with Curry as this is the second sprain of his surgically repaired ankle in a month. He has missed two games this time around now, we’ll see how hight that number gets.
3:14 pm: Officially, Stephen Curry is still a game-time decision on Thursday when the Warriors take on the Mavericks.
In reality, he’s probably not playing.
Curry rolled his surgically repaired right ankle on Monday and while he wears a stiff cast this is the second time he has tweaked the same ankle in a month. He did not play in the back-to-back on Tuesday. Now he did not go through shootaround on Thursday, tweeted Rusty Simmons of the San Francisco Chronicle.
Mark Jackson said Steph Curry (ankle) is a game-time decision, even though he missed shootaround. "I wasn't going to let him participate."—
Rusty Simmons (@Rusty_SFChron) January 31, 2013
The Warriors will be cautious because Curry is the key to the team’s turnaround this season — he initiates the offense, is scoring 21 points a game, dishing out 6.4 assists per game and is shooting 43.7 percent from three. He has All-Star numbers but the coaches didn’t give him the nod.
Last time he tweaked this same ankle he missed two games (almost a full week off) before returning. I would expect more of the same here. But as of now nothing is official
- Report: Mavericks shake up Rockets’ free-agent plans, agree to offer sheet with Chandler Parsons 4
- Gregg Popovich agrees to extension with Spurs, likely stays past Tim Duncan era 5
- Report: Cavaliers want to swing Kevin Love trade if LeBron James comes to town 36
- NBA salary cap jumps nearly $5 million next year to $63 million, luxury tax line $76.8 million 7
- Report: Carmelo Anthony to choose New York, announcement Thursday. Agent denies. 63
- Reports: It’s LeBron, agent, Pat Riley alone in a room Wednesday afternoon In Vegas 49
- Report: Cavaliers agree to trade with Nets, Celtics, clearing cap space for LeBron James 115
- Report: Gordon Hayward agrees to max offer sheet with Hornets 52