Jan 31, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
Rudy Gay is on his way to Toronto. The deal is done.
But he will not report to the team until Friday afternoon and that means he will not play Friday night when the Raptors host the Los Angeles Clippers, tweets Eric Koreen of the National Post.
The Raptors next game is Sunday against the Miami Heat. You know, the game LeBron James isn’t thrilled about because it’s causing him to miss the Super Bowl.
“Welcome to Toronto! Here’s your new uniform, your locker, make yourself at home. Now get dressed and go out there and guard LeBron.”
Gay averages 17.2 points and 5.9 rebounds a game and instantly becomes the best player the Raptors put on the court. Normally when you get the best player in the trade it’s a win, but this deal just brings up more questions about Toronto’s roster construction. They already had DeMar DeRozan at the three, and they can slide him to the two spot and then both of them can hope that the aggressive Kyle Lowry decides to give up the rock. Then they have young guys like Landry Fields (on a pretty healthy contract) and rookie Terrence Ross also looking for perimeter minutes.
Maybe there are more moves coming for Toronto — anyone want Andrea Bargnaini? Anyone? Bueller? Baller? — but I still just struggle to see the big picture here.
But it will be an interesting picture when Gay takes the court. On Sunday.
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 0
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 1
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 1
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13