Jan 31, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
Rudy Gay is on his way to Toronto. The deal is done.
But he will not report to the team until Friday afternoon and that means he will not play Friday night when the Raptors host the Los Angeles Clippers, tweets Eric Koreen of the National Post.
The Raptors next game is Sunday against the Miami Heat. You know, the game LeBron James isn’t thrilled about because it’s causing him to miss the Super Bowl.
“Welcome to Toronto! Here’s your new uniform, your locker, make yourself at home. Now get dressed and go out there and guard LeBron.”
Gay averages 17.2 points and 5.9 rebounds a game and instantly becomes the best player the Raptors put on the court. Normally when you get the best player in the trade it’s a win, but this deal just brings up more questions about Toronto’s roster construction. They already had DeMar DeRozan at the three, and they can slide him to the two spot and then both of them can hope that the aggressive Kyle Lowry decides to give up the rock. Then they have young guys like Landry Fields (on a pretty healthy contract) and rookie Terrence Ross also looking for perimeter minutes.
Maybe there are more moves coming for Toronto — anyone want Andrea Bargnaini? Anyone? Bueller? Baller? — but I still just struggle to see the big picture here.
But it will be an interesting picture when Gay takes the court. On Sunday.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 0
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 5
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 58
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 64
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 40
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8