Jan 31, 2013, 2:26 PM EST
Rudy Gay is on his way to Toronto. The deal is done.
But he will not report to the team until Friday afternoon and that means he will not play Friday night when the Raptors host the Los Angeles Clippers, tweets Eric Koreen of the National Post.
The Raptors next game is Sunday against the Miami Heat. You know, the game LeBron James isn’t thrilled about because it’s causing him to miss the Super Bowl.
“Welcome to Toronto! Here’s your new uniform, your locker, make yourself at home. Now get dressed and go out there and guard LeBron.”
Gay averages 17.2 points and 5.9 rebounds a game and instantly becomes the best player the Raptors put on the court. Normally when you get the best player in the trade it’s a win, but this deal just brings up more questions about Toronto’s roster construction. They already had DeMar DeRozan at the three, and they can slide him to the two spot and then both of them can hope that the aggressive Kyle Lowry decides to give up the rock. Then they have young guys like Landry Fields (on a pretty healthy contract) and rookie Terrence Ross also looking for perimeter minutes.
Maybe there are more moves coming for Toronto — anyone want Andrea Bargnaini? Anyone? Bueller? Baller? — but I still just struggle to see the big picture here.
But it will be an interesting picture when Gay takes the court. On Sunday.
- Derrick Rose leaves Bulls-Nuggets game with hamstring tightness 22
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 18
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23