Jan 31, 2013, 7:49 PM EST
As the words were coming out of his mouth, Toronto coach Dwane Casey knew he was going to get fined, and he was just too angry to care after his team lost 93-92 to Atlanta.
“I’m tired of this,” Casey said. “I’m tired of losing games because of missed calls at the end of the game. I know the league’s going to come down on me for this, but I don’t care. Guys have fought their hearts out, played their hearts out and at the end of the game we get cracked, apology, go back to Canada….
“I’ve been in this league 18 years and I’ve never seen as many missed calls at the end of the game to cost us the game,” Casey said. “We have good officials. Too good to miss calls and short-change these young men like that. And it’s not right.”
Well, he was right. About the call and the league’s reaction.
Thursday the league announced Casey had been fined $25,000 for his comments.
He was right about the call on the play at the end, too. There could have been a call against the Hawks on the scramble for a loose ball with 8 seconds to go, but you’re not going to get that call often. Alan Anderson comes out with the ball and gets off a long two pointer that comes off the rim.
DeMar DeRozan got the rebound, went back up and was completely hacked by Al Horford. Hacked. It was a foul. There was no call, Horford gets the block on the stat sheet and the Hawks get the win. Terrible call.
Hopefully for Casey it was worth the $25 large.
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8
- Andrei Kirilenko leaves Nets for road trip, Lionel Hollins unsure if he’ll return 15