Raptors’ Casey fined $25,000 for ripping officials after loss

Jan 31, 2013, 7:49 PM EDT

Raptors head coach Casey directs his team against the Warriors during their NBA basketball game in Toronto Reuters

As the words were coming out of his mouth, Toronto coach Dwane Casey knew he was going to get fined, and he was just too angry to care after his team lost 93-92 to Atlanta.

“I’m tired of this,” Casey said. “I’m tired of losing games because of missed calls at the end of the game. I know the league’s going to come down on me for this, but I don’t care. Guys have fought their hearts out, played their hearts out and at the end of the game we get cracked, apology, go back to Canada….

“I’ve been in this league 18 years and I’ve never seen as many missed calls at the end of the game to cost us the game,” Casey said. “We have good officials. Too good to miss calls and short-change these young men like that. And it’s not right.”

Well, he was right. About the call and the league’s reaction.

Thursday the league announced Casey had been fined $25,000 for his comments.

He was right about the call on the play at the end, too. There could have been a call against the Hawks on the scramble for a loose ball with 8 seconds to go, but you’re not going to get that call often. Alan Anderson comes out with the ball and gets off a long two pointer that comes off the rim.

DeMar DeRozan got the rebound, went back up and was completely hacked by Al Horford. Hacked. It was a foul. There was no call, Horford gets the block on the stat sheet and the Hawks get the win. Terrible call.

Hopefully for Casey it was worth the $25 large.

1. limonadamas - Jan 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM

The Raptors have gotten screwed multiple games this season by the refs at the very end of games. Probably a statistical anomaly, but Casey’s frustration is totally understandable.

2. badintent - Jan 31, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Raptors are in the bottom half of the of the NBA for FTs. they got hosed on the call.sucks.Casey needs to do this more often, only way to get the refs to make a more level playing field for his team. Jeff Gundy made a career out of it.Whnning.

3. dko83 - Jan 31, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Good for him, he knew the fine was coming and didn’t give a $#!*. Making a 25k statement is pretty impressive..

4. nygdriveforfive - Jan 31, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Even at 100k it had to be said. NBA you have a problem. Video replay in the last 5 seconds has to be considered. Also, there is no way this happens more than once to la/chi/ny etc.

5. ez0682 - Jan 31, 2013 at 9:01 PM

it’s the NB where is b****** bu where is bull s*** happens I’m not a raptor fan.t if they have brought fiba reffs trust me nba would b a good bball to watch where they actually let u ly real d. Nba it’s no it’s not good th that’s why I’ve been stopped watching it here’s 1 that doesn’t the NB where did make the interesting nba aka wwe.

• shanelsweet - Jan 31, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Take it ez. Ur makn no sens

6. nygdriveforfive - Jan 31, 2013 at 9:09 PM

^^^^^^^^^^
    um ya what he said?

• observingii - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Um, yeah, but what did he say?

7. sportsnut101 - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Can the nba fine the refs for missing a call can the team owners fine David stern for blown calls. The refs make

Can the nba fine the reporters for asking did the ref blow the call

• Kurt Helin - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:29 AM

While there is some discipline for referees, it is not fines and it is not public.

8. bigwii - Jan 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM

The NBA has resembled a reality TV show over the past few years and has become sort of like the WWE its obvious. I mean is it just a coincidence one big story after another about nothing comes out and boosts the ratings, not to mention its the same teams winning over and over and it’s only the Big Market teams with the exception of the Thunder. Not to mention even the lottery picks have been suspicious throughout the years too and ALL of this started going down when David Stern took office the guy is all about money and ratings and the refs have just been like his secret police to make sure everything goes as planned to benefit the league, I mean there’s really no such thing as an underdog anymore in the NBA. Teams like the Heat and Lakers get completely outplayed especially in the playoffs and magically come back by getting to the line every other play and getting ridiculous calls the idea here is ok glad he finally said something I jean it’s like a dictatorship your not allowed to say anything no matter if its true or not, and if you do you get fined or suspended then Stern gets his people to call those people crazy and people believe them or have to. Notice how the only teams that don’t complain about the refs are those specific teams that everyone else gets mad at these refs call me crazy but its not just a coincidence anymore. I’m glad people are starting to speak up maybe eventually everyone will get fed up and day something. I mean the Lakers went to the line over 20 times in the 4th quarter in game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals which broke the record not only for 1 quarter but a whole half most teams don’t go that many times in a whole game they went in one quarter to make a magical comeback when they were getting clearly outplayed I mean its all there it’s whether you choose to see it or stay in the dark. Eventually the cat will come out of the bag.

• badintent - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:44 AM

There was a rogue ref years ago, cost the suns a final appearance but I catch your drift. And I agree with most of it. Could be another rogue ref out there too.

9. magicbucs - Feb 1, 2013 at 2:46 AM

I’m sure his players will help him with the $25k. He’s right tho. These new refs the last few years have blown too many calls. Too many easy calls.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches