LeBron ticked he, Heat will not get to watch Super Bowl

Jan 31, 2013, 10:12 AM EDT

LeBron James Football Getty Images

The NBA isn’t stupid — they don’t schedule any games directly up against the Super Bowl.

But it’s close enough this year that LeBron James and his Miami Heat teammates are not going to get to see the San Francisco 49ers make Ray Lewis cry and beat the Baltimore Ravens. (Well, Ray will cry either way.) Ira Winderman had LeBron’s reaction at the Sun Sentinel.

“How disgusting is that?” he said after Wednesday’s shootaround at the Barclays Center prior to the game against the Brooklyn Nets….

“If the Cowboys were in the Super Bowl, I’d stay there for the game,” he said of his passionate football rooting interest.

Miami tips off against Toronto at 2 p.m. Eastern and for viewers at home that works out pretty well because after the final buzzer you can flip over and catch the last hour and a half of pregame then watch the big game.

But for James and teammates there is the post-game routine of showers and media obligations, followed by a bus to the airport and a flight home to Miami — a flight that can’t be delayed to watch the game because the Heat have a game the next night at home. Staying and watching the Super Bowl then flying would leave a very tired team the next day.

While the Heat do fly a charter plane (like all NBA teams), their current one doesn’t have the modern conveniences of satellite television of wi-fi on board, Winderman reports. So they will be without the game and updates (save what the pilot can pass along).

It’s a sacrifice for work, and life is not hard for these guys, but if your job made you sacrifice the Super Bowl you’d be pissed, too.

1. phillyphannn83 - Jan 31, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I have no respect for people who are fans of front-runners. Everyone knows where LeBron is from, yet he likes the Yankees and the Cowboys not the Browns and Indians. Look at his age and who were the best teams when he was growing up? The Yankees and the Cowboys. So pathetic. This message is for every single person out there who are Yankees-Cowboys-Lakers/Bulls fans…you’re all a disgrace to sports fans everywhere. You’re fake fans. You’re fair-weather fans. Either support your hometown team through thick and thin or keep your allegiances to yourself, unless of course, you enjoy criticism.

• matthewryantownsend - Feb 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Yeah it doesn’t really work that way. I, for example, live in indiana but I’m also a cowboys fan. I am because my dad grew up in Texas and has been a cowboys fan since he was a kid. So not only does your logic not make sense, it also makes you look ignorant. I think you’re just a lebron hater

• hastekilled - Feb 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Completely disagree. I’m 31 and live in Illinois and am a Bulls fan. But I’ve been a St. Louis Cardinals fan for 25 years and became a Cowboys fan during the 1992 season. BEFORE they won any Super Bowl with that team. And I’ve stood behind them, and spent a ton of money on them even during the last 16 mediocre years. Being a fan of a team outside your state does not mean you are fair weather. Now, if you live in the city of the team I can kind of understand. But living in the same state means nothing.

2. akbrownsfan - Jan 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM

He should buy his own jet ! I’m sure he can afford one

3. lemfaxx - Jan 31, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Pacman delayed the match to watch his favs team:):):)

4. usalovebig - Jan 31, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I believe I speak for all those who have to work on the Super Bowl or will be flying in an airplane on the way to my mansion.
    Free Lebron!
    This is the America of Obama. Where else in the world would multi-millionaire athletes be deprived of watching the greatest sporting event, no… greatest and most important event of the year!
    Truly disgusting. Shameful. What do the men and women of the armed forces say about this?
    This is not freedom. What’s next in the great decline of the U.S.A.

5. annes22 - Jan 31, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Charter a better plane for god sake. No Wi Fi what is this,a prop thing, please Micky you can do better than this for the Heat???

6. purplekobra69 - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Watch it on your laptop or something

7. purplekobra69 - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I feel ya dog.

8. mcsuave - Feb 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM

They should turnoff their cell phones and record the game. As long as you don’t know the outcome, the game is real. Small price to pay to earn millions of dollars. I’ve done it for civil servant wages.

9. mcsuave - Feb 3, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Heat players should file lawsuit for Unfair Labor Practice. LMAO. Spoiled brats.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches