Jan 31, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
Do you want to see LeBron James in the dunk contest so badly you would donate your own money to see it?
A guy named Chris Thomas does and he wants you to join him. He has gone on GoFundMe.com — an online fundraising website where people raise money for medical care, funerals, local youth sports trips and other actual needs — and is crowdsourcing to try to raise $1 million to go toward LeBron’s charity if he enters the dunk contest. (If he doesn’t compete in 2013, you get your money back.)
LeBron has said recently that the window where he would participate has passed him by. Besides, LeBron is a powerful in-game dunker but the Dunk Contest is all about flashy shows and props (like dunking over a car while a gospel choir sings). I’m not sure it suits what LeBron does well.
Again, do you want to see LeBron James in the All-Star Weekend dunk contest that badly? Really?
I think if you want to donate money to LeBron’s charity you should do that directly. Actually, you should stop and think, “Doesn’t LeBron donate a lot of money to his own charity? Maybe I should make a donation to a cause near my home or near my heart and make a difference that way.”
Just a thought.
But if you want to donate your money to charity to see LeBron dunk, it’s America. We have codified the rights of people to do ridiculous things. So go right ahead.
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 0
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 6
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'