Jan 31, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
Do you want to see LeBron James in the dunk contest so badly you would donate your own money to see it?
A guy named Chris Thomas does and he wants you to join him. He has gone on GoFundMe.com — an online fundraising website where people raise money for medical care, funerals, local youth sports trips and other actual needs — and is crowdsourcing to try to raise $1 million to go toward LeBron’s charity if he enters the dunk contest. (If he doesn’t compete in 2013, you get your money back.)
LeBron has said recently that the window where he would participate has passed him by. Besides, LeBron is a powerful in-game dunker but the Dunk Contest is all about flashy shows and props (like dunking over a car while a gospel choir sings). I’m not sure it suits what LeBron does well.
Again, do you want to see LeBron James in the All-Star Weekend dunk contest that badly? Really?
I think if you want to donate money to LeBron’s charity you should do that directly. Actually, you should stop and think, “Doesn’t LeBron donate a lot of money to his own charity? Maybe I should make a donation to a cause near my home or near my heart and make a difference that way.”
Just a thought.
But if you want to donate your money to charity to see LeBron dunk, it’s America. We have codified the rights of people to do ridiculous things. So go right ahead.
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 4
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 9
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 21
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6