Dwight Howard re-injures right shoulder in loss to Suns

Jan 31, 2013, 4:59 AM EDT

Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant

PHOENIX — Dwight Howard re-aggravated the injury to his right shoulder in Phoenix on Wednesday night, and it didn’t look to be anything minor either on the court or in the locker room afterward. While there was no speculation by anyone that Howard would be forced to miss time, it was clear that he was in plenty of pain and that he’ll need to be reevaluated by the training staff before making that determination.

“It’s real sore,” Howard said. “Everything on this (right) side is hurting pretty bad right now.”

Howard was forced to leave the Lakers 92-86 loss to the Suns with 6:56 to play in the game, after being fouled on a shot attempt. The downward motion of the defender put pressure on the shoulder as Dwight went to raise his arm for the shot, and he sank to the floor after the contact as he tried to deal with the pain.

Howard said it’s the most pain he’s felt in the shoulder since the original injury back on Jan. 4.

“Numbness just went all down my arm and my neck,” he said. “It was pretty bad when it happened.”

Howard sat with ice wrapped around the shoulder at his locker for some time postgame, then went into the training room to get some black kinesiology tape placed around the shoulder before speaking with reporters. The normally jovial and playful big man was without a smile and seemed dejected and concerned when answering questions about the injury, and whether or not it would cause him to sit out an extended period of time to get it some rest.

“I don’t want to [sit out],” he said. “But we’ll see.”

The thinking was when the injury first occurred was that it would be something Dwight would simply be forced to play through all season.

“My understanding is it’s something that will hurt, go away, then he plays when it goes away,” Lakers head coach Mike D’Antoni said afterward.

“It is going to be an all-season thing, that’s how those types of injuries are,” said Kobe Bryant. “I’ve had ‘em before, and when you get banged like that going up, you’re going to get that stinging sensation. That’s just how it’s going to be.”

Howard doesn’t know yet if he’ll play in the Lakers next game in Minnesota on Friday, as it will depend on how the injury reacts to rest and treatment over the next couple of days. He seemed willing to play through the pain to a certain extent, but was cautious when asked if this was something he’d have to deal with the rest of the season.

“I’m going to try as much as I can,” he said. “I don’t want to cause more damage to my shoulder.”

1. losangeleschargers17 - Jan 31, 2013 at 5:33 AM

So if the Lakers become mathematically eliminated he should go and get that surgery. According to my self proclaimed future telling I think he should just pack and and quit on the season if the only goal is to win a championship, we’ll that is not happening.

• losangeleschargers17 - Jan 31, 2013 at 5:34 AM

*well

• bozosforall - Jan 31, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Onlt lost fan bases advocate throwing a season (see the 2006 Celitcs season for a good example) in order to get a better draft pick.

• stoutfiles - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:15 AM

The Lakers are basically eliminated already, they have been for some time. They’ve won a few games lately because teams aren’t used to Kobe passing the ball, but they’ll figure that out.

The media wants you to think they still have a chance because Laker stories get the most views. The season is over, put Dwight down, let him heal up, and pray that he resigns and comes back a new player next year.

2. nokoolaidcowboy - Jan 31, 2013 at 5:49 AM

That picture is hilarious if you take a really good look at it. Kobe’s expression is priceless.
    “Damn, what wrong wit you now?!?”

3. andyhr17 - Jan 31, 2013 at 7:09 AM

How many times does he need to re-injure his shoulder before it becomes a non-story? This seems to be a weekly headline.

• loungefly74 - Jan 31, 2013 at 7:44 AM

“How many times does “fill in PBT user name” need to reference the same personal complaint before it becomes a non-story? This seems to be a weekly headline.”

It’s news, my friend. again…why even click on the site if it’s a non-story to you? that’s like people complaining about Honey Boo-Boo’s antics yet they are in front of the tube watching the crap.

ah…I’m just messin’ with ya…but ya get my point, right?

• fanofthegame79 - Jan 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Perfect comment, loungefly! I hate when trolls or any other user complains about a story. I mean, you took the time to click on the link, read the “non-story”, log in and write your complaint about how it was a “non-story”?!? Do you really need that social acceptance or validation of your thoughts? smh

• andyhr17 - Jan 31, 2013 at 9:55 PM

1: I wasn’t complaining about the story or the headline. I’m simply saying the dude has been injuring his holder every week now.

2: I’m not commenting for social acceptance. It’s just a comment. Why do you take the time to write a paragraph complaining about me? Social acceptance. A troll would be Bozosforall insulting people left and right. I’m just a guy making a comment. So calm the f down and enjoy watching your pitiful team that is spiraling towards the lottery.

4. shivablast - Jan 31, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Steroids break your body down in the long term and make you injury prone. See: A-Rod.

5. mungman69 - Jan 31, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Just gotta keep on playin.

• dacapt704 - Jan 31, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Thats basically what Kobe’s comments said:

Translation: SUCK IT UP “SUPERMAN”

• miamatt - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM

^^^^^

You took the comment right out of my keyboard. I read Kobe’s statement to be a polite form of DEAL WITH IT.

• kinggw - Jan 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

He’d be a fool to keep playing just to prove how tough he is. The Lakers aren’t going anywhere why should he risk his long term health for a show of bravado?

6. freepretzels - Jan 31, 2013 at 9:30 AM

And Dwight toughing it out lasted exactly one game.

7. tmills28 - Jan 31, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I had a torn labrum and had surgery a few months back. I’m a baseball player and couldn’t throw. can’t imagine that Dwight can make it much longer without surgery..

8. mgscott - Jan 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM

So when the lakers lose dwight howard gets hurt ?

• caeser12 - Jan 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Seems to be a theme.

• eventhorizon04 - Jan 31, 2013 at 1:24 PM

The Lakers had a pretty big lead when his injury occurred.

Then the Phoenix Suns made a mid-fourth quarter run with Dwight out of the game.

• badintent - Jan 31, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I got my CLIPPERS barbeque fork and my Golden State Knife and I’m carving up the the bigass Laker Turkey. Who wants dark meat ?

9. caeser12 - Jan 31, 2013 at 12:29 PM

“Damn! Howard is always getting hurt!” Sam Bowie

“I know!” Greg Oden

10. imthedudedude - Jan 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM

The lakers were up by 5 points when Dwight went out.. Go PHX! Thanks to all the laker fans for coming out last night!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches