Jan 30, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Chris Bosh is having his most efficient season ever — he is shooting 54.3 percent overall, which is right there with LeBron James (54.7 percent) and better than Dwyane Wade (50.8 percent). He’s shooting better from 16 feet and out than he has in his career, pulling opposing bigs away from the basket to create lanes for LeBron and Wade. Bosh has got a PER of 20.7, the highest he has had in Miami.
But the Heat tend to overlook their third star, especially when games get tight.
The ball is in the hands of LeBron most of the time, Wade some of the time, and they can create their own shot whenever they want. Bosh is there spacing the floor and grabbing boards, but as it has been since 2010 he can get overlooked for long stretches. Sunday in a game that went to overtime against Boston Bosh got three shots after halftime.
“He’s one of our best players, one of our best shooters. …Three shots is definitely not enough for him,” James said. “We’ve got to do a better job of just trying to find him…”
This season, Bosh is averaging 12.2 shot attempts per game. It’s the second-lowest average of his career next to his rookie season despite the fact that he’s shooting better than ever.
Erik Spoelstra said the problem is lack of ball movement.
“If it’s a zero-pass, one-pass shot, a lot of guys aren’t getting those opportunities. And we weren’t really forcing enough triggers for the ball to end up finding its way to Chris, where he can take advantage.”
Like any team, when the Heat are making the extra pass, when they are sharing things go well. Both LeBron and Wade had seven assists each against Boston, but the extra pass wasn’t there. And Bosh was left in the cold.
It’s a long season and the Heat know what to do. We’ll see through the rest of the season they can build the habits of making the extra pass they will need in the playoffs.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 26
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 50
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28