Jan 30, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
Chris Bosh is having his most efficient season ever — he is shooting 54.3 percent overall, which is right there with LeBron James (54.7 percent) and better than Dwyane Wade (50.8 percent). He’s shooting better from 16 feet and out than he has in his career, pulling opposing bigs away from the basket to create lanes for LeBron and Wade. Bosh has got a PER of 20.7, the highest he has had in Miami.
But the Heat tend to overlook their third star, especially when games get tight.
The ball is in the hands of LeBron most of the time, Wade some of the time, and they can create their own shot whenever they want. Bosh is there spacing the floor and grabbing boards, but as it has been since 2010 he can get overlooked for long stretches. Sunday in a game that went to overtime against Boston Bosh got three shots after halftime.
“He’s one of our best players, one of our best shooters. …Three shots is definitely not enough for him,” James said. “We’ve got to do a better job of just trying to find him…”
This season, Bosh is averaging 12.2 shot attempts per game. It’s the second-lowest average of his career next to his rookie season despite the fact that he’s shooting better than ever.
Erik Spoelstra said the problem is lack of ball movement.
“If it’s a zero-pass, one-pass shot, a lot of guys aren’t getting those opportunities. And we weren’t really forcing enough triggers for the ball to end up finding its way to Chris, where he can take advantage.”
Like any team, when the Heat are making the extra pass, when they are sharing things go well. Both LeBron and Wade had seven assists each against Boston, but the extra pass wasn’t there. And Bosh was left in the cold.
It’s a long season and the Heat know what to do. We’ll see through the rest of the season they can build the habits of making the extra pass they will need in the playoffs.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5