Jan 30, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
For the next few games at least, the Dallas Mavericks are going to have to figure out how to get by without Chris Kaman — which shouldn’t be too bad, they have been 5.2 points better per 48 minutes when he sits this season than when he plays.
Kaman suffered a concussion and is out indefinitely, reports the Star Telegram.
“I just got undercut in practice and landed on my head. It was a weird play. (Jae) Crowder drove down the middle, Elton (Brand) tried to take a charge and Elton slid to his left and took my leg out.
“I tried to block it and I was three feet in the air on my side and didn’t know where to go. Obviously it all happened real fast.”
He is suffering headaches and told the Star Telegram he basically has all the classic symptoms of a concussion. Under the league’s concussion policy, he will have to pass a battery or exams after increasing physical workouts, then be cleared by a league neurologist, before he can return to play. There is no timeline.
Kaman is averaging 12.4 points per game and grabbing 6.2 rebounds with an above average PER of 16.5. But the fact of the matter (as you can see at 82games.com) is that both the Mavericks offense and defense improve when Kaman comes off the floor this season — the offense gets 2.6 points per 100 possessions better, the defense 4.6 points. That’s 7.4 points per 100 possessions, for those of you scoring at home.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 0
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 40
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44