Jan 30, 2013, 9:08 PM EDT
LeBron doesn’t use the word “quit” when he said this. But he might as well have.
LeBron James was asked at shootaround about what was different between P.J. Carlesimo’s Nets — winners of 9-of-12 — and the Nets that were slumping so badly Avery Johnson got fired. The New York Daily News has LeBron’s answer.
“They are not doing anything different. They are playing with more passion, more together, they are playing like they want to play for their coach,” James said. “It sucks that Avery had to take the hit of them not wanting to play at a high level, but that’s what it looks like to me. They haven’t changed their offense, they haven’t changed their defense. They’ve picked it up in intensity level and you can tell they like to play for PJ.”
Unlike the Heat, who play hard every night?
Johnson was an old-school coach — hard on players and often a micromanager — but that tends to wear on teams after a while. Carlesimo is a little looser with the reins and the Nets have responded to that. The other big key was getting All-Star Brook Lopez back and fully healthy.
I think LeBron was simply saying what he saw and thought there, but you know that is going to anger a few Booklynites.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23