Jan 30, 2013, 2:54 PM EDT
From here, it’s just a matter of time — getting him reps, getting his conditioning back up. It may be a few weeks still, but his return is getting close.
Derrick Rose is now taking full contact in practices, Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau said Wednesday. Thibs is not exactly forthcoming about anything Rose (or, really anything at all), but he was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer Wednesday as the Bulls prepared to take on the Milwaukee Bucks.
“He’s full contact, yeah,” Thibodeau said before Wednesday’s morning shootaround as the Bulls prepared to face the Milwaukee Bucks….
“He can do all the cutting, he can do shooting, he can go off the dribble,” Thibodeau said. “So it’s just a matter of him getting acclimated to playing in a game situation.
“You have to understand that in practice you’re striving to get as close to a game-like intensity as you can, but you also have to understand that you’re not going to be able to get there, so that will be a whole different level. And we have to make sure that he’s ready to handle that intensity.”
Rose’s return still isn’t expected until after the All-Star break.
The Bulls are 27-17 and the three seed in the East right now, without Rose. They are doing it with the third best defense in the NBA and the 21st best offense.
But with Rose back the offense should improve. What’s more, Thibodeau told Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com the team should see a new energy from his return, just from having Rose at practice.
“When you see your star player out and working as hard as he is to get back, it’s extra motivation. And it puts things in perspective, how lucky we are to be playing. I know there’s nothing he wants more.”
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 7
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 10
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 5
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 46
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7
- Report: Lakers considering bringing back Metta World Peace 33