Jan 29, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Bobby Flay loves a chipotle pepper.
• Finally, something NBA related you can do with your grandmother — “Wheel of Fortune” has teamed up with the NBA for “NBA Week,” which air all next week (Feb. 4 – 8). Who is involved? Chris Paul, DeAndre Jordan, and Grant Hill as well as Lakers legend and Hall of Famer James Worthy. And of course Pat Sajak and Vanna White, which is why you are really watching (admit it). Plus players such as Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Kevin Durant will do pre-taped segments and introduce custom NBA prizes.
• Here is another great look at life for the Celtics without Rajon Rondo, via Zach Lowe of Grantland. I’m not sure any of his Paul Pierce trade ideas will go over well with Celtics faithful.
• In the wake of a report that raised all sorts of ethical red flags around Billy Hunter and the NBA players union, he has let go of all his family members working for the union. That was not enough to stop agent Arn Tellem from sending a letter to his clients urging them to vote Hunter out of power.
• The Washington Post caught up with Yao Ming, and he seems settled and happy. Good for him.
• Cleveland’s Kyrie Irving and San Antonio’s Tony Parker today were named Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week for last week. Irving led the Cavaliers to a 3-0 record averaging 35.7 points per game. Paker led the Spurs to a 4-0 week averaging 24.5 points and 9.5 assists a game.
• Speaking of Kyrie Irving, he is questionable for Tuesday night’s game due to an illness.
• A change in coaches can make a difference for a player — since Jim Boylan took over the Bucks Ersan Ilyasova has averaged 15.4 points on 47 percent shooting plus 8.4 rebounds a game. He looks like the guy from last season again.
• As people around the team expected, the Pacers have brought back Sam Young as he gets closer to playing following a severe ankle sprain.
• The Timberwolves inked Mickael Gelabale and Chris Johnson to second 10-day contracts. At the end of these 10 days Minnesota has to sign them (or one of them) for the rest of the season or let the player go.
• Loul Deng wants the British government to restore funding to the national basketball program.
• Lorenzen Wright’s ex-wife got a $1 million payout following his 2010 murder. She’s burned through almost all of it within 10 months.
• Rajon Rondo’s injury has Keyon Dooling thinking about coming out of retirement.
• Finally, this Russian league coach knows how to make a swing pass to the open man.
Aug 29, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
If the Nuggets stay healthy, they are again a playoff threat in the West.
Aug 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Protecting the paint is the obvious Achilles heel of the Cavaliers, on paper anyway.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Stauskas is thrilled to have finally made it to the NBA.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Wade and Bosh show they can get the job done now that LeBron has moved on.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
Report surfaced a few days ago saying the two teams were in discussion.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Highest Court in the Land
Aug 28, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
I doubt that’s what he meant
Aug 28, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
Could Trail Blazers guard replace Derrick Rose in World Cup?
Aug 28, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
See Pau Gasol, Ricky Rubio, Jose Calderon and Serge Ibaka dance
Aug 28, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Black, who played at Kansas and Memphis, could be headed to Houston’s D-League affiliate
Aug 28, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Dan Gilbert, after throwing money at Kentucky coach, settled for management that landed LeBron James and Kevin Love this offseason
Aug 28, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
Judy Seto doesn’t even bother asking Kobe to rate his pain, because the question is pointless
Aug 28, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Pop being Pop.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Jazz guard will play behind Matthew Dellavedova and Ryan Broekhoff
Aug 28, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Cousins was long safe and part of the USA rotation.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
If you’re trying to age your game gracefully, Pierce is a great model.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
76ers point guard underwent shoulder surgery in spring
Aug 28, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
Rose will probably have to prove it while coming off the bench behind Kyrie Irving in World Cup
Aug 28, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Tony Wroten is putting on a show.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
Doesn’t matter who didn’t show up, the guys that did make Team USA one of two teams with a legit shot at gold.
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 4
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20