Jan 29, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Bobby Flay loves a chipotle pepper.
• Finally, something NBA related you can do with your grandmother — “Wheel of Fortune” has teamed up with the NBA for “NBA Week,” which air all next week (Feb. 4 – 8). Who is involved? Chris Paul, DeAndre Jordan, and Grant Hill as well as Lakers legend and Hall of Famer James Worthy. And of course Pat Sajak and Vanna White, which is why you are really watching (admit it). Plus players such as Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Kevin Durant will do pre-taped segments and introduce custom NBA prizes.
• Here is another great look at life for the Celtics without Rajon Rondo, via Zach Lowe of Grantland. I’m not sure any of his Paul Pierce trade ideas will go over well with Celtics faithful.
• In the wake of a report that raised all sorts of ethical red flags around Billy Hunter and the NBA players union, he has let go of all his family members working for the union. That was not enough to stop agent Arn Tellem from sending a letter to his clients urging them to vote Hunter out of power.
• The Washington Post caught up with Yao Ming, and he seems settled and happy. Good for him.
• Cleveland’s Kyrie Irving and San Antonio’s Tony Parker today were named Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week for last week. Irving led the Cavaliers to a 3-0 record averaging 35.7 points per game. Paker led the Spurs to a 4-0 week averaging 24.5 points and 9.5 assists a game.
• Speaking of Kyrie Irving, he is questionable for Tuesday night’s game due to an illness.
• A change in coaches can make a difference for a player — since Jim Boylan took over the Bucks Ersan Ilyasova has averaged 15.4 points on 47 percent shooting plus 8.4 rebounds a game. He looks like the guy from last season again.
• As people around the team expected, the Pacers have brought back Sam Young as he gets closer to playing following a severe ankle sprain.
• The Timberwolves inked Mickael Gelabale and Chris Johnson to second 10-day contracts. At the end of these 10 days Minnesota has to sign them (or one of them) for the rest of the season or let the player go.
• Loul Deng wants the British government to restore funding to the national basketball program.
• Lorenzen Wright’s ex-wife got a $1 million payout following his 2010 murder. She’s burned through almost all of it within 10 months.
• Rajon Rondo’s injury has Keyon Dooling thinking about coming out of retirement.
• Finally, this Russian league coach knows how to make a swing pass to the open man.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:51 AM EDT
He fits well with what George Karl wants to do.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:28 AM EDT
Whether regular season or Summer League, we love us some buzzer beaters.
Jul 5, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Evans won the 2012 dunk contest.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:32 PM EDT
This seems steep, they could have gotten him for less.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT
The Lakers will need to move Young to clear the cap space for their other moves.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Dallas doesn’t have much to offer.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Dan Gilbert is not afraid to write checks.
Jul 5, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT
The Lakers added the 2015 Sixth Man of the Year.
Jul 5, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
The Hawks signed Millsap to a max deal earlier this week.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT
Stuckey had a standout year for Indiana last season.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Ginobili has yet to announce his future plans.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
LeBron is going to win, Tristan Thompson is going to get his money.
Jul 5, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Another guy who took less money to avoid playing in Sacramento.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
L.A. is all kinds of desperate now that DeAndre Jordan has bolted for the Mavericks.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
How will Blazers fans react when Aldridge returns?
Jul 5, 2015, 3:12 AM EDT
Quality pickup by the Kings.
Jul 5, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT
Phil Jackson gets a gold star for this move.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
McRae was the 58th overall pick in the 2014 draft, and is a member of Philadelphia’s Summer League squad.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Nice addition by Orlando.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
He would have to take a paycut, but Dallas needs help at the point.
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 28
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 26
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 56
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48