Jan 29, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
Jarvis Varnado has barely touched the court for the Heat — 12 minutes total in two games during his two 10-day contracts with the team.
But they must like what they are seeing in practice from the former Mississippi State forward — they are going to sign him for the rest of the season, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
The Heat also are holding on to the Birdman — Miami will offer a second 10-day contract to Chris Anderson, Woj reports.
The Heat drafted Varnado in the second round back in 2010, but he didn’t make the roster. He played for a while in Italy and Israel but returned to the D-League this season, playing in Sioux Falls where he turned heads.
Varnado is an energy big off the bench — he is strong on the defensive end blocking shots and crashing the board. He hustles. He’s not going to score much, but that’s not what the Heat want, they want a good practice player. They apparently found one.
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 19
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 9
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64