Jan 29, 2013, 8:38 PM EST
Jarvis Varnado has barely touched the court for the Heat — 12 minutes total in two games during his two 10-day contracts with the team.
But they must like what they are seeing in practice from the former Mississippi State forward — they are going to sign him for the rest of the season, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
The Heat also are holding on to the Birdman — Miami will offer a second 10-day contract to Chris Anderson, Woj reports.
The Heat drafted Varnado in the second round back in 2010, but he didn’t make the roster. He played for a while in Italy and Israel but returned to the D-League this season, playing in Sioux Falls where he turned heads.
Varnado is an energy big off the bench — he is strong on the defensive end blocking shots and crashing the board. He hustles. He’s not going to score much, but that’s not what the Heat want, they want a good practice player. They apparently found one.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 36
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 37
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10