Jan 29, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
Jarvis Varnado has barely touched the court for the Heat — 12 minutes total in two games during his two 10-day contracts with the team.
But they must like what they are seeing in practice from the former Mississippi State forward — they are going to sign him for the rest of the season, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
The Heat also are holding on to the Birdman — Miami will offer a second 10-day contract to Chris Anderson, Woj reports.
The Heat drafted Varnado in the second round back in 2010, but he didn’t make the roster. He played for a while in Italy and Israel but returned to the D-League this season, playing in Sioux Falls where he turned heads.
Varnado is an energy big off the bench — he is strong on the defensive end blocking shots and crashing the board. He hustles. He’s not going to score much, but that’s not what the Heat want, they want a good practice player. They apparently found one.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 4
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 15
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7