Jan 29, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
Jarvis Varnado has barely touched the court for the Heat — 12 minutes total in two games during his two 10-day contracts with the team.
But they must like what they are seeing in practice from the former Mississippi State forward — they are going to sign him for the rest of the season, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
The Heat also are holding on to the Birdman — Miami will offer a second 10-day contract to Chris Anderson, Woj reports.
The Heat drafted Varnado in the second round back in 2010, but he didn’t make the roster. He played for a while in Italy and Israel but returned to the D-League this season, playing in Sioux Falls where he turned heads.
Varnado is an energy big off the bench — he is strong on the defensive end blocking shots and crashing the board. He hustles. He’s not going to score much, but that’s not what the Heat want, they want a good practice player. They apparently found one.
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 0
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 6
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10