Jan 29, 2013, 1:07 PM EDT
Somebody is going to sign Greg Oden in hopes he can return next season and play a few minutes a night off the bench. Yes, he has had seven knee surgeries — three microfracture — at age 24 and hasn’t played in the NBA in three years.
But such is the state of real bigs in the NBA that if he can give a team 12-15 minutes a night off the bench on an affordable deal, teams will take a look.
I don’t know when, but there seems to be some momentum for it to happen sooner — say in the next month or so — than in the future.
The Cleveland Cavaliers and the Miami Heat have emerged as the leaders to land former No. 1 pick Greg Oden.
The 7-foot Oden, who hasn’t played since Dec. 5, 2009 due to multiple knee injuries, is hoping to take a visit down to Miami to meet with Pat Riley and the Heat in the next week, a source told CBSSports.com.
If it comes down to money, Cleveland is under the salary cap and can offer more, Miami could only offer the league minimum. With either team this likely is a series of one-year deals at the team’s option. Other teams such as Boston, San Antonio and Dallas were reportedly interested but Oden is narrowing his options.
Just something to watch, this seems to be happening.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 37
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?