Once again, Mario Chalmers says he’s a top 10 point guard. Again world chuckles.

Jan 29, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT

Mario Chalmers Getty Images

You want your players to be confident. To believe in themselves and their abilities. You can’t play in the NBA without a little bit of swagger.

Mario Chalmers has enough swagger for 10 NBA players. Once again on Tuesday he reiterated that he thinks he is a Top 10 NBA point guard. From Chris Tomasson at Fox Sports Florida.

“I’d say top 10,’’ the Miami Heat fifth-year man said of where he ranks. “I’m not in the lower part (of the top 10), I’m in the middle part. I just have confidence in myself. I think I can compete with the best of them…..

“That’s how I feel no matter what people say or what people think,’’ Chalmers said.

Chalmers is an ancillary cog in the Miami Heat machine, averaging 7.7 points and 3.4 assists per game. I’m not going to list a dozen players better than him, you can do that for yourself.

Of course, what do you expect him to say, “I think I’m a top-25 NBA point guard?”

A lot of NBA role players think they are better than their station, that if just given the right opportunity they could thrive. Not LeBron James/Kobe Bryant thrive, but do better than they are. But most also have the wherewithal to not say that publicly.

Chalmers is Chalmers. But it works for the Heat.

Latest Posts
  1. Friday night video fun: Best hustle plays of 2014-15 season

Aug 28, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

2015 NBA Finals - Game Five Getty Images

It’s not a coincidence you see stars like Chris Paul, LeBron James, Tim Duncan and Russell Westbrook in a highlight package like this.

2. Kenneth Faried excited to see what Emmanuel Mudiay will do in Denver

Aug 28, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT

USA Basketball Men's National Team Training Camp Getty Images

It is going to be a rough year in Denver as they give the keys to the offense to a rookie point guard.

3. Charles Barkley remembers “gentle giant” Darryl Dawkins

Aug 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT

NBA House - Moynihan Station 2015 Getty Images

Charles Barkley talked about how he never found Dawkins in a bad mood — he was always jovial.

4. Nets’ Bojan Bogdanovic rolls ankle readying for EuroBasket, says he’ll be fine

Aug 28, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Brooklyn Nets - Game Four Getty Images

It shouldn’t linger into training camp if he doesn’t aggravate it.

5. Jim Buss heaps praise, hope on young Lakers

Aug 28, 2015, 1:44 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Draft Picks Press Conference Getty Images

What did you expect he would say?

6. Report: Kings sign former college star Marshall Henderson to training camp deal

Aug 27, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT

Marshall Henderson Marshall Henderson

Henderson has played in Iraq and Qatar since going undrafted.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches