Once again, Mario Chalmers says he’s a top 10 point guard. Again world chuckles.

Jan 29, 2013, 5:42 PM EST

Mario Chalmers Getty Images

You want your players to be confident. To believe in themselves and their abilities. You can’t play in the NBA without a little bit of swagger.

Mario Chalmers has enough swagger for 10 NBA players. Once again on Tuesday he reiterated that he thinks he is a Top 10 NBA point guard. From Chris Tomasson at Fox Sports Florida.

“I’d say top 10,’’ the Miami Heat fifth-year man said of where he ranks. “I’m not in the lower part (of the top 10), I’m in the middle part. I just have confidence in myself. I think I can compete with the best of them…..

“That’s how I feel no matter what people say or what people think,’’ Chalmers said.

Chalmers is an ancillary cog in the Miami Heat machine, averaging 7.7 points and 3.4 assists per game. I’m not going to list a dozen players better than him, you can do that for yourself.

Of course, what do you expect him to say, “I think I’m a top-25 NBA point guard?”

A lot of NBA role players think they are better than their station, that if just given the right opportunity they could thrive. Not LeBron James/Kobe Bryant thrive, but do better than they are. But most also have the wherewithal to not say that publicly.

Chalmers is Chalmers. But it works for the Heat.

Latest Posts
  1. Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game

Jan 30, 2015, 4:29 PM EST

BKN-NBA-BULLS-LAKERS Getty Images

“So if you see me diving on the floor and people say ‘what is he doing?’ I can’t help but be the player that I am.” —Jimmy Butler on playing in the All-Star Game

2. LeBron James reportedly asked Adam Silver for longer All-Star break, fewer back-to-backs

Jan 30, 2015, 2:09 PM EST

2012 Sports Illustrated Sportsman Of The Year Award Presentation - Arrivals Getty Images

NBA Commissioner has delivered on All-Star Break. Back-to-backs next?

3. Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy

Jan 30, 2015, 12:49 PM EST

Dallas Mavericks v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Will center stick with Mavericks this time?

4. Mike Dunleavy is smooooth

Jan 30, 2015, 12:11 PM EST

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Sliding into your DMs like…

5. DeMarcus Cousins wins.

Jan 30, 2015, 11:33 AM EST

Kings center waits five years, burns Clay Travis for tweet

6. Kobe Bryant on if he returns next season: “Yeah, that’s the plan”

Jan 30, 2015, 9:34 AM EST

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Did anyone think he would get injured and say, “nah, I don’t want to fight through this” and walk away?

7. Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn

Jan 30, 2015, 8:37 AM EST

Orlando Magic v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Already facing scrutiny, Vaughn oversaw 15-point loss to Bucks last night

8. One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol

Jan 30, 2015, 2:48 AM EST

BKN-NBA-BULLS-LAKERS Getty Images

“I really appreciate him coming, I didn’t expect it at all.” —Pau Gasol

9. Report: Magic haven’t ruled out firing Jacque Vaughn in-season

Jan 29, 2015, 10:45 PM EST

Jacque Vaughn Jacque Vaughn

Management is displeased with their underperformance.

10. Lakers pass out “Thanks Pau” shirts, have video tribute for return of Gasol

Jan 29, 2015, 10:02 PM EST

Pau shirt front

“Don’t it always seem to go that you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone.”

11. Report: NBA passes rule raising the bar for team ownership

Jan 29, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

2015 Throne Boxing 2015 Throne Boxing

The new rule is an attempt to curtail Jay Z-style figurehead owners.

Who should be All-Star Game reserves?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches