Once again, Mario Chalmers says he’s a top 10 point guard. Again world chuckles.

Jan 29, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT

Mario Chalmers Getty Images

You want your players to be confident. To believe in themselves and their abilities. You can’t play in the NBA without a little bit of swagger.

Mario Chalmers has enough swagger for 10 NBA players. Once again on Tuesday he reiterated that he thinks he is a Top 10 NBA point guard. From Chris Tomasson at Fox Sports Florida.

“I’d say top 10,’’ the Miami Heat fifth-year man said of where he ranks. “I’m not in the lower part (of the top 10), I’m in the middle part. I just have confidence in myself. I think I can compete with the best of them…..

“That’s how I feel no matter what people say or what people think,’’ Chalmers said.

Chalmers is an ancillary cog in the Miami Heat machine, averaging 7.7 points and 3.4 assists per game. I’m not going to list a dozen players better than him, you can do that for yourself.

Of course, what do you expect him to say, “I think I’m a top-25 NBA point guard?”

A lot of NBA role players think they are better than their station, that if just given the right opportunity they could thrive. Not LeBron James/Kobe Bryant thrive, but do better than they are. But most also have the wherewithal to not say that publicly.

Chalmers is Chalmers. But it works for the Heat.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Mavericks give Salah Mejri fully guaranteed salary

Aug 3, 2015, 5:36 PM EDT

BASKET-EURL-ANADOLU EFES-REAL MADRID Getty Images

Dallas loading up on players. What will roster look like in November?

2. Nancy Lieberman says DeMarcus Cousins happy Kings hired her

Aug 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT

Nancy Lieberman Nancy Lieberman

Will new Sacramento assistant coach improve Cousins’ relationship with George Karl?

3. Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire”

Aug 3, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT

Ray Allen AP

“I didn’t miss it. I realized how much time I missed not being home with my kids.” —Ray Allen on last season

4. Report: Kings have no interest in Hedo Turkoglu

Aug 3, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

The Kings were never a likely landing spot.

5. Report: 76ers to sign Jordan McRae a year after stashing him

Aug 3, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Utah Jazz Getty Images

What will J.P. Tokoto, future Philadelphia second-rounders think of McRae’s contract?

6. Timberwolves coach Flip Sauders returns to Twitter to say he loves three pointers

Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Flip Saunders AP

The Timberwolves roster doesn’t have a lot of quality three point shooters on it.

7. Magic guarantee Dewayne Dedmon’s contract

Aug 3, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Orlando keeps backup center on minimum contract

8. With Nikola Pekovic still hurt, Flip Saunders says Karl-Anthony Towns could start. Or Gorgui Dieng.

Aug 2, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwu3mmzjztazntu1ogzhywnkzju2otmyzgnloty5otbl1 AP

Saunders has a versatile front line, but does he have enough shooting to give them room to operate?

9. Michael Jordan (and a kid) beat Jimmy Butler in shooting contest (VIDEO)

Aug 2, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

Jordan will gloat about this to Butler for years.

10. Mavericks officially sign Summer League standout, No. 21 pick Justin Anderson

Aug 2, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

It’s a standard rookie contract for a first-round pick.

11. Former NBA All-Star Bob Kauffman dies at age 69

Aug 2, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Spaulding NBA basketball Getty Images

He was a star with the Buffalo Braves (the franchise that is now the L.A. Clippers).

Top 10 NBA Player Searches