Once again, Mario Chalmers says he’s a top 10 point guard. Again world chuckles.

Jan 29, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT

Mario Chalmers Getty Images

You want your players to be confident. To believe in themselves and their abilities. You can’t play in the NBA without a little bit of swagger.

Mario Chalmers has enough swagger for 10 NBA players. Once again on Tuesday he reiterated that he thinks he is a Top 10 NBA point guard. From Chris Tomasson at Fox Sports Florida.

“I’d say top 10,’’ the Miami Heat fifth-year man said of where he ranks. “I’m not in the lower part (of the top 10), I’m in the middle part. I just have confidence in myself. I think I can compete with the best of them…..

“That’s how I feel no matter what people say or what people think,’’ Chalmers said.

Chalmers is an ancillary cog in the Miami Heat machine, averaging 7.7 points and 3.4 assists per game. I’m not going to list a dozen players better than him, you can do that for yourself.

Of course, what do you expect him to say, “I think I’m a top-25 NBA point guard?”

A lot of NBA role players think they are better than their station, that if just given the right opportunity they could thrive. Not LeBron James/Kobe Bryant thrive, but do better than they are. But most also have the wherewithal to not say that publicly.

Chalmers is Chalmers. But it works for the Heat.

1. tampajoey - Jan 29, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Maybe Top 10 in the state of Florida. Maybe.

• totallyuselessme - Jan 30, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Not just being a contrarian here, and I’d rather he didn’t broadcast it, but if he was on my team I’d say I’d rather he had that kind of confidence than not, so you won’t catch me hating on him for it.

• fanofevilempire - Jan 30, 2013 at 7:01 AM

maybe his locker is too close to Boshs locker and he caught the crazy talk.

oh boy!

2. sjc23yee - Jan 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Charmers is CLUTCH ask Derrick Rose!

• miamatt - Jan 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I know you’re getting lots of thumbs down, but your statement is right on the money.

I won’t get into where he ranks as a point guard- there are many who are better- but he has come up huge in the playoffs two years in a row. Say what you will, but he is a cold blooded shooter just itching to take the potential game-winner. There is a reason Miami re-signed him before last season- he can absolutely be a difference maker in a few games each playoff run, which is more than most role players do; it can be the difference between champs and chumps.

Top 10 is laughable, but he’s more middle of the pack than bottom rung, and that confidence is why he sticks on the Heat.

3. pudgalvin - Jan 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Steve Nash
    Brandon Jennings
    Ramon rondo
    Jrue holiday
    Damion lillard
    Ricky rubio

I think after those guys he enters the conversation.

• bowens3181 - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Agree that everyone you mentioned is above him, but I disagree that he enters the conversation after those names. There are a lot of other players I would place ahead of Chalmers: Hill, Dragic, Conley, Calderon, Felton, Bledsoe, Nelson, just to name a few, but I’m sure that there are a bunch of players I’m not thinking of, and there are few that I am thinking of that I am not including because they would be debatable.

• curtis35w - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

agree’d on most of those except im not sure who ramon rondo is….is that rajon’s latin cousin? lol and dont think ricky rubio belongs on there until he is consistently healthy.

• philadelphiafan - Jan 30, 2013 at 3:58 AM

Don’t forget about Kyrie’s younger sister Kylie. She’s got it goin on.

• southbeachtalent - Jan 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I would have DJ Augustin right after Ramon..

4. doctorfootball - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Professional athletes should always be confident, just not delusional.

5. nav711 - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Funny part is… stupid Miami fans believe him.

• southbeachtalent - Jan 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM

oh yea definitely… MVP!!

Rio for Prez!!!

So the guy is confident, always has been. Contrary to popular belief some Heat fans have been watching for more than 2 years and he’s always said the same thing. Wade constantly teases him about it.

6. Mr. Wright 212 - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Dude is LITERALLY the worst PG in the NBA. Can’t tell that to Heat stans though.

• frankiebooboo - Jan 29, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Lol… You must think Jeremy Lin and Austin Rivers are hot shizzle

• Mr. Wright 212 - Jan 29, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Better than him.

• michaeljordanseviltwin - Jan 29, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Just because you capitalize a word doesn’t make it true.

7. soopreme - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I’m a Heat fan but I’m not delusional.
    Chalmers is way to inconsistent to be talking like that.
    Its a 50-50 chance that he’s on the floor at crunchtime (more like 30-70 since Ray Allen came to the team)
    No top 10 point guard is on the bench in the 4th qtr as much as him.
    Bosh is a hall of famer and now Chalmers is top 10, PLEEEAAAASSSSSEEEEE!!!!!!!!.
    I’m afraid there are some players on my team that are getting the BIG HEAD.

8. tcclark - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM

He would be the fourth string point guard on the Atlanta Hawks behind Teague, Harris, and Williams. He’d be the 5th string point guard in Minnesota behind Rubio, Shved, Ridnour, and Barea. He’d be third string on the Charlotte Bobcats…. let me repeat that….. the Charlotte Bobcats… easily behind Kemba and Sessions. I could probably name 50 point guards that me, you, and the Miami Heat would take over Mario Chalmers.

9. buffalowned - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM

He’s an average point guard at best. He tries to drive like he’s Russell Westbrook and it hardly ever works. He’s not a great passer or floor general by any means. He’s a decent shooter but when his shot isn’t falling he’s useless. Decent defender but still gets burned a lot. Good for one good game out of 10. Very frustrating to watch when he’s struggling

10. eflem80 - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I can’t even think of another team that he would be the starting PG…..New Orleans….maybe.

• dko83 - Jan 29, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I’d take Vasquez playing one handed over this clown.

11. jerrysshadescleaner - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Ramon Rando, Lol his latin cousin, that was awesome! But yea chalmers needs to calm down, even his own teammates dont like him.

12. progress2011 - Jan 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM

OK….A.I. want’s back in the league….

I say make A.I. play Chalmers 1 on 1………winner becomes the Heat starting guard !

I got ALL my buckets of chips on A.I.

Chalmers claims he is a top guard ….A.I. would Beat the Brakes off Flat Foot !!!

I could see A.I. taking some of the ball handling responsibilities off Wade and LBJ.

Chalmers and Cole don’t have any handles and can’t set up an offense. That’s why LBJ/ The Power Forward is running point most of the game !

13. dgbk - Jan 29, 2013 at 7:19 PM

ramon rondo is good but his rotional defense is a problem. it’s almost like he dont even exist at times on the court.

14. canehouse - Jan 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM

It matters not where he is “actually” ranked, or where you haters place him… What matters to us HEAT fans is that he has been clutch in big moments in some very big games. It’s never a bad thing to have some serious brass when it’s wide eye time.

15. rockthered1286 - Jan 29, 2013 at 8:30 PM

AJ Price is laughing hysterically.

16. michaeljordanseviltwin - Jan 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM

You could seriously make the case for about 35 point guards over Chalmers. I used to like him for the Heat because they called him the pitbull of the defense. I think his lack of involvement on offense has made him disinterested in defense, because he doesn’t play either now.

PS He might not be the best PG on the team. Norris Cole wants it bad and gives everything he has during his few minutes on the court.

17. mrcuret - Jan 29, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Top 10 PG???…Wow, drugs in south beach are no joke! Smh

18. borderline1988 - Jan 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM

He’s not a top-10 PG, not even close.

But to his credit, he looks like the second coming of Derrick Fisher. The guy knows how to hit big shots.

19. reasonablemindsays - Jan 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Chalmers doesn’t put up a lot of numbers, but there is no question that the Miami heat are a much better team when he is on the floor. In fact Chalmers has the highest +/- differential on the team. He plays good defense and he wins games.

Is he elite? No. But he’s definitely better than what people have been saying on this thread.

20. firegoodell - Jan 29, 2013 at 10:53 PM

He wouldn’t even be a top 10 PG if he was back in college – in fact – he doesn’t even really play PG – he hardly ever has the ball in his hands – true PG run the offense and can score when needed – this clown is a catch and shoot player who plays off of D-Wade and LeBron – nothing more – and it’s only confidence when it’s somewhat accurate – his words just come off as stupid arrogance.

21. wheresthecontrol - Jan 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Just show them your championship ring Rio! How many on that list have one of those?

22. abchome - Jan 30, 2013 at 1:21 AM

He probably meant top 100. It’s about right he’s in the middle – 20+ better starting PGs and 20+ better backup PGs.

23. jordanismyidol - Jan 30, 2013 at 4:34 AM

This chalmers kid is hilarious

24. cantonbound13 - Jan 30, 2013 at 5:47 AM

Another arrogant Heat player.

25. greatnate22 - Jan 30, 2013 at 6:25 AM

I know for sure that my grandmother and I are top 10 pg’s when we just shoot uncontested 3pt’s without have to bring the ball up the court.
    I’m not saying that he’s a waste, but you have to compare his game/situation to that young, little kid who gets to play a pick-up game with the older guys just because they needed one more. Anyone can look better than they are, when you have the guys on your team that dunk on everybody.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches