Jan 29, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
Dwight Howard’s shoulder hurts.
You saw it against Memphis last week — Howard ran shoulder first into a Rudy Gay screen and had to leave the game. He missed three games earlier in the month with what is described as a torn labrum (the cartilage that cushions and allows a wide range of movement for the joint).
How do you fix that? Surgery is the primary option.
“Six months,” Howard said. “I’d rather live with it than have six months out again. That’d be two summers in a row, so I don’t want that….
“Will it heal?” Howard said. “I hope so.”
It will not heal, the inflammation just can be controlled and the pain managed. You can play through it if you can handle some pain, although when aggravated it could be worse. The only long-term solution is surgery.
Last season Howard tried to play through his back pain and… Lakers fans don’t want to think about that.
But after everything he and the Lakers have gone through, he’s not coming off the court now.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14