Durant plays down on court barking between himself, Ibaka

Jan 29, 2013, 1:24 PM EST

Kevin Durant, Serge Ibaka AP

It’s been an odd development in a team generally seen as having exemplary team chemistry — Kevin Durant and Serge Ibaka have had some words with each other. Yelling words.

It’s usually over defensive rotations that were missed, but it seemed a little intense.

Kevin Durant played it down talking to the Oklahoman.

“We’re just trying to help each other out. At the end of the day, that’s all we’re trying to do,” Durant said. “It’s times when I mess up and he tells me. It’s times when he messes up and I tell him. We both got to do a better job of responding to each other and just helping each other out….

“I think it goes back to us wanting to be so perfect,” Durant said. “Sometimes we both got to just calm down and play the game.”

I don’t think this is a big off-the-court issue. The Thunder have what seems to me to be as cohesive a locker room as there is in the league.

Competitive people have disagreements during games. It happens. Better to iron it out in January than have it exposed in April.

1. GT - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Wouldn’t it be more appropriate diction to say “downplays” in the headline?

2. therealgts - Jan 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM

People and their constant grammar critiques. Get a life.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:32 PM

If you really want to be taken seriously learn to cough up the basics.

3. cosanostra71 - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:17 PM

People yell at each other on the court all the time. It shows you care.

4. gbsfinest420 - Jan 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I’ve played basketball with a group of my best friends that I’ve grown up with since we were kids for 15 plus years… It happens in the heat of competition…

5. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM

A non-issue. Incidents like this one adds up to the kind of excellent chemistry this Thunder team has. No surprise that they are one of the elite teams this season and the year before.

6. jolink653 - Jan 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Why is it every time any two players on this team yell at each other, it’s a major story? It shows they care about winning and making every play they can

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches