Allen Iverson says he wants another shot in NBA but not through D-League

Jan 29, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT

The Texas Legends came calling but Allen Iverson has politely declined.

The Answer took to twitter on Tuesday to say he will not be going the D-League route to return to the NBA.

Iverson has been out of the NBA three years and the last time he was in it he was a disruptive force in the Memphis and Philadelphia locker rooms. When he was in the Philly locker room.

If he wants back in the NBA, he’s going to have to prove he still has the game and is mentally ready on another stage for a while. That can be the D-League, that can be back in Europe (he played half a season in Turkey but had injury issues), but it has to be somewhere. NBA teams are not going to just pick him up right now. If he really wants to get back to the NBA he’s going to have to take some humbling steps to make that happen and prove he has that maturity, along with still some game.

Right now, he’s not ready to do that. So we all miss out.

1. reeggss - Jan 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM

“I am now humbled and if i get another shot I will give it my all, now let me complete my legacy as the greatest player to ever live”
    Sorry Allen no one is that desperate, not even my suns

• captainwisdom8888 - Jan 29, 2013 at 5:57 PM

yea this is sad

• captainwisdom8888 - Jan 29, 2013 at 10:49 PM

TRUE STORY: My dad has a management position at the Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City. When AI was in Philly, he would roll over to AC with an entourage of 15 -20 people on a regular basis. He told me he would drop tens of thousands on markers for him and his friends, suites, dinners, bartabs, everything. To drop 50-60k in one night was commonplace for him. No wonder he is so desperate for cash

PS: When respectfully asked to vacate the casino floor after cursing off dealers, AI and his entourage began urinating in the various planters that lined the casino floor haha

someone get him a contract….hes humbled now HAHA

• addictedzone - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Iverson has managed to have his legacy etched in stone. It’s but one word known far and wide, and still gets a laugh when dropped almost anywhere.

2. bjerkrulez - Jan 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Wow! until now he hasn’t swallowed his pride and move on with the tides
    You’re not 27 anymore AI, you’re thankful but you still pride yourself based on the young Iverson

So he doesn’t want to go to the D League but opted to play for a Turkey team? (more money perhaps?)

At his age I’m a bit surprised how the comments were handled
    I loved his game because he elevated the stature of smaller guys in the NBA

But given his old and knowing that it was his actions that triggered all these.
    He should know that the ONLY way for NBA teams to reconsider is for him to show he still got it in the D league, mentally and physically

Mike James is 37 and he got a contract from the mavs…so who knows what may happen? >.<

3. abchome - Jan 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

As a big AI fan I think he better stay retired, or play in China if he really needs money.

4. skids003 - Jan 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I want to play in the NBA again, but no practice!!

5. eflem80 - Jan 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM

C’Mon A.I.! Sign with the team.. drop 30 a couple times & TRUST that a team will call him up after 3 games….

6. 11thstreetmafia - Jan 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM

A team could use him even after he has lost a step. There are a lot of average players in the league right now. I think he would be better than average a team some celebrity status. WAR, AI in Charlotte.

7. BigBeachBall - Jan 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM

he still thinks it’s the 90’s.

8. knickstape84 - Jan 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Charlotte PHX Orlando could use him to atleast sell tickets. Don’t tell me PHX cant use him to sell tickets. They have to come up with dumb stuff just to get people to drive by that stadium….

9. fanofevilempire - Jan 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I guess he doesn’t want top practice either…………………

10. buzz29 - Jan 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Sorry Al baby. You should have been practicing when you were misbehaving.

11. sasquash20 - Jan 29, 2013 at 5:18 PM

sixers should take him back. We need a 2 guard, and he could show the team how to take it to the hoop and draw a foul. Because lord knows they can’t do that now

12. badintent - Jan 29, 2013 at 6:11 PM

YOYO AI, ask JR aobut missing practice on China ! JR missing $500,000 form his wallet for no practice. But T-mas ‘s team is 2-19, thye could use you.Dim Sum, no smoke, how many people ?

13. progress2011 - Jan 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I would match A.I. against many NBA starters and 6th men, rotating off the bench.

Let’s play A.I. against ANY of the World Champion Heat guards in a game of 21.

A.I. (21) vs Chalmers (8)- Chalmers is a friggin Flat Foot ! And his jumper is suspect.
    A.I. (21) vs Ray Allen (12)- can’t get to the rack AT ALL. Only chance is to get off some quick jumpers
    A.I.(21) vs Norris Cole (6) – Cole is not quicker, can’t finish at the rim and his handles are loose

So, he should be able to get in the Heat / World Champ rotation !

Lets look at the lakers guards vs A.I.

A.I. (21) vs Chris Duhon (6) – Duhon lacks confidence and would just want A.I. autograph
    A.I. (21) vs Nash (16) – I give Nash 16 because he is gritty and will find a way to be competitive
    A.I (21) vs Steve Blake (4) – Blake has no business on the friggin court with the likes of A.I. I gave Blake 4 points cause I feel sorry for him. Not because I think he’d actually score.

A.I (21) vs Both Meeks and Morris together (18) – These two guys would want pictures & autographs too.

SO…the point of this exercise is, A.I. is still better than most of the guards on the World Champ Heat and the team with the biggest market !!!

Based on SKILL and ability to contribute, should he be in the NBA…….ABSOLUTELY !!!

• thomaskouns - Jan 29, 2013 at 9:12 PM

There is no ‘I’ in team.

• progress2011 - Jan 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I agree there is no ” I ” in team ! However, just for kicks and grins (as kobe recently mentioned he’d beat guys in a 1 on 1)….it would be entertaining.

Instead of having some of the boring ridiculous events during the All Star weekend….I’d propose having a 1 on 1 session.

I GUARANTEE rating would go thru the roof if fans could see these match-ups :

1. Westbrook vs Derick Rose(when healthy)
        2. Wade vs Kobe
        3. Durant vs Lebron
        4. CP3 vs Steph Curry
        5. Blake vs Love

etc. etc. etc……and if you are suggesting you would not get a bag of chips, throw the ole lady outta the room and watch…..You not a bball fan AT ALL !!!

14. philliephaninva - Jan 29, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Iverson is an even bigger D-bag that A-rod.

15. philtration - Jan 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM

He wants NBA money but he does not want to work for it.

16. tigershark49 - Jan 29, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Overrated!! Always has been nothing but a total loser!

17. savvybynature - Jan 29, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I would also like an NBA contract without having to prove anything first.

Let me know when teams start handing those out.

18. namriverrat69 - Jan 30, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Sorry Mr. Question, you are yesterdays news. Your talent was superb but you abused coaches and players on every team you played for. You talent is now marginal. Why should a team give you a spot when they can get a young grad with more potential than you will ever have again? They shouldn’t.

I always have to laugh at the jerk players who feel they are owed everything and demand to be treated special while they are making millions of dollars playing the game. Then, after they fritter iall those millions away and they are treated special anymore they come back begging on their knees and whining like a bitch for a job so they can try to put together a few more millions again.

You’ve learned a hard lesson which most of us learn at a much younger age. Everybody is your friend when you have money and you are willing to spend it on them. Now that you’re broke people don’t call anymore.

Your time came and went young man. Please proceed through the exit. Don’t forget to practice 3 card monte cause people on the streets are getting better at perception. Oh, that’s right, you don’t believe in “practice”, Oh well, I’m sure you qualify for some type of unemployment or food stamps to tide you over until your NBA retirement starts coming in,

Welcome to getting older. Have a nice life and do us all a favor now. Go away,

19. progress2011 - Jan 30, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Ahahahahaah River Rat !!!

You got A LOT of venom, for AI !!!

AI must have taken your Ole Lady, had a party of 20 with her And sent her back to you, all BUSTED-UP ..,,,ahahahaha

20. metrocritical - Jan 30, 2013 at 7:51 AM

…so we all miss out…???

Miss out on what ? Watching an injury prone, broken down, bad attitude, ethically challenged, lousy teammate, has been destroy the chemistry of an NBA team desperate enough to sign him? I suppose if you want your most hated rival to torpedo their own season then root for his return to the NBA for that particular team. Otherwise, he ought to remain on the scrap heap with other faded talent, malcontents like T.O., Ochocinco and other big mouths whose insufferability and eroded skills left them as appealing as a porcupine at a hemophiliac support group meeting.

21. omniusprime - Jan 30, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Only a total moron would want Iverson back in the NBA. He was nothing but a self glorifying ball hog who never bothered to play team basketball. Iverson doesn’t deserve the time of day, much less a spot in the NBA. He needs to give it a rest, no one cares about this total loser.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches