Jan 28, 2013, 2:16 AM EDT
Three of the games biggest stars make the list on Sunday night, but when Carmelo Anthony is in the zone he’s as good as it gets. And the Knicks are hard to beat.
Third Star: LeBron James (34 points, 16 rebounds, 7 assists)
His team didn’t win, but they wouldn’t have made it to overtime if he didn’t track down a missed three and sink one of his own to send it to overtime. And his team wouldn’t even have been close enough for that three to matter if he hadn’t put up a monster line, although he did need 31 shots to get his 34 points. This was another night when LeBron was fantastic and didn’t get a lot of help from his teammates.
Second Star: Kobe Bryant (21 points, 14 assists, 9 rebounds)
To everyone saying “see what happens when Kobe finally passes the ball” I would say there are two parts to an assist — making the pass and the guy hitting the shot. Kobe made a lot of unrewarded passes earlier this season. But the Lakers have basically put Kobe at the point and moved Steve Nash off the ball for the past couple games and Kobe is thriving — Kobe has more assists than shot attempts for two straight games. And the Lakers look the best they have all season. Give the man credit.
First Star: Carmelo Anthony (42 points, 5 rebounds)
The Knicks defense could not stop the Hawks all game (Atlanta shot 60 percent), but New York got the win because they had Anthony reminding everyone he is one of the best scorers on the planet. Anthony had nine three pointers on his way to 42 points. Then with 12.5 seconds left in a tie game he isolated on Josh Smith, got around him and made the game-winning layup, drawing the foul at the same time. For those of you scoring at home, that is 29 consecutive 20 point games for Anthony.
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7
- PBT Extra: Wizards’ backcourt owning matchup with Toronto 0