Jan 28, 2013, 8:29 AM EDT
Don’t we all just love it when David Stern and the league office get to put their fingerprints all over the All-Star Game?
But with Rajon Rondo now out with a torn ACL in his right knee, it falls to Stern to make changes to the East roster for the Feb. 17 game in Houston.
Fans voted Rondo in as a starter and that spot on the floor for the opening tip is going to go to one of the reserves already chosen for the East. If you want to stick with a point guard, Jrue Holiday or Kyrie Irving should get the spot.
I’d go with Irving — he is the more talented, more dynamic player (and this is an exhibition, after all). While Irving missed a large portion of he first half of the season he has played in only five fewer games than Holiday. Irving scores a little more and is more entertaining, and at the end of the day the All-Star game is about entertainment.
While Stern should slide a guard into the starting spot for Rondo, he is under no obligation to put a guard on the East All-Star roster to fill the empty slot. If he wans another point guard Brandon Jennings is out there and deserving, he has played well for the Bucks.
If Stern wants to keep another Celtic on the roster, Paul Pierce was maybe the most glaring snub in the East — 18.7 points a game, highest on the Boston team.
Or he could go with another big man — Brook Lopez. Just my gut feel, this is the direction Stern goes, because he thinks marketing first and Lopez represents a new market in Brooklyn. Plus Lopez has earned it — 18.6 points and 7.3 rebounds a game, and he is the catalyst for the Nets. When he plays, they are a dangerous team, their losing streak not so coincidentally came with him injured for much of it (but Avery Johnson got to pay the price).
But no matter what, David Stern gets to make choices about who plays in the All-Star Game. Isn’t that swell?
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 52
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 34
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18