Jan 28, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
Allen Iverson, playing in the D-League?
It seems a long shot, but the Texas Legends — the Mavericks affiliate that recently signed Delonte West, Luther Head and Rashad McCants — is making a run at him, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.
Sources told ESPN.com that the Legends, who are co-owned by Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson, ramped up their season long pursuit of Iverson on Monday, offering him the chance to resurrect his career….
The Legends’ pitch to Iverson centers around the fact they’ve just convinced NBA veterans Delonte West and Rashad McCants to join their team with similar intentions, after the Legends signed another 37-year-old earlier this month — point guard Mike James — and wound up putting James in position to earn a 10-day callup to the Mavericks that turned into a guaranteed contract after James completed his second 10-day deal Sunday.
It would be great marketing for the Legends. It’s a smart play by them.
Iverson, however, will not play in the NBA again. Sorry, it is just not happening. Iverson last played in the league in 2010 in a season he was so disruptive in Memphis they traded him to Philadelphia, where he missed a large number of games and eventually left the team. He then went to play for Besiktas in Turkey but was injured and missed much of that season.
Iverson was always an inefficient volume scorer in the NBA but he put up so many points teams looked past it. Now that he has lost a step, is age 37 and had injuries nobody is convinced he can put up those points, nor are they convinced he would be a good role model in the locker room for younger players.
I loved watching Iverson play back in the day, he was a game changer. But those days have passed.
But he would be great marketing in the D-League and they can try to sell him on that NBA path. Maybe that will work, but I wouldn’t bet on it.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 11
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9