Andrew Bynum dunking, still plans return soon after All-Star break

Jan 28, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT

Injured Philadelphia 76ers Andrew Bynum smiles before the start of the NBA basketball game between the 76ers and the Denver Nuggets in Philadelphia Reuters

The dynamic around Andrew Bynum’s return to the 76ers has changed. Before it was something to watch as Philly brass thought about what kind of contract to offer him this summer.

But with the injury to Rajon Rondo and the Sixers just 2.5 games back heading into Monday night, a playoff spot seems possible again. Bynum’s return could be a big part of that.

So how’s it going? He’s dunking, he told CSNPhilly.com.

“I still haven’t done slides yet, but I dunked yesterday. That’s good. I can still do that,” Bynum said.

Before you say “so what, a 7’1” guy with long arms can dunk” let me remind you that when he lands it’s 300 pounds on his surgically repaired knee. It’s not nothing.

As for the timeline, he said his return remains likely for right after the All-Star break.

“I’m a little ahead, I think,” Bynum said. “Before I started getting a little better I had a lot of pain. The pain is subsiding a bit [after workouts].”

When he comes back it will not be 30 minutes a night at full speed at first, but if he can help lift a struggling offense and shore up the defense a little, suddenly Philly’s outlook is a whole lot different.

1. dannythebisforbeast - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Why do I get the feeling this guy is rehabbing on his own, at his own pace and will return whenever he feels like it not even someone says your ready

• cosanostra71 - Jan 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM

“injured on company time, heal on company time”

2. greenejoemean - Jan 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM

i will forgive him if he does not play at all this year only if he signs a long term deal. i don’t think the sixers are gonna make any major noise in the ‘offs anyway this year.

3. abchome - Jan 28, 2013 at 11:51 PM

He’ll definitely play this season. He’ll play enough games to get a max contract, and miss games the following seasons.

4. mazblast - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:07 AM

I think the Sixers would let him walk before they’d commit the madness of offering him a max deal.

5. badintent - Jan 29, 2013 at 2:34 AM

His new contract calls for a new hair style by LMFAO

6. ocgunslinger - Jan 29, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Like Kobe or not, the man plays through injuries when well under 100% physically and totally has the respect of his team for his commitment.

I understand his knees are a mess but Bynum needs to get a little Kobe in him.

• sun602 - Jan 29, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Given Kobe’s adulterous nature, that might just happen.

Joke Joke, Kobe lovers calm down

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches