Jan 28, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
The dynamic around Andrew Bynum’s return to the 76ers has changed. Before it was something to watch as Philly brass thought about what kind of contract to offer him this summer.
But with the injury to Rajon Rondo and the Sixers just 2.5 games back heading into Monday night, a playoff spot seems possible again. Bynum’s return could be a big part of that.
So how’s it going? He’s dunking, he told CSNPhilly.com.
“I still haven’t done slides yet, but I dunked yesterday. That’s good. I can still do that,” Bynum said.
Before you say “so what, a 7’1” guy with long arms can dunk” let me remind you that when he lands it’s 300 pounds on his surgically repaired knee. It’s not nothing.
As for the timeline, he said his return remains likely for right after the All-Star break.
“I’m a little ahead, I think,” Bynum said. “Before I started getting a little better I had a lot of pain. The pain is subsiding a bit [after workouts].”
When he comes back it will not be 30 minutes a night at full speed at first, but if he can help lift a struggling offense and shore up the defense a little, suddenly Philly’s outlook is a whole lot different.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris