Jan 27, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
The lack of depth at the point guard position is pretty far down the list as far as reasons the Lakers have had trouble stringing together a series of wins this season.
Nevertheless, any help would be more than welcome at this point, and it appears that some will be on the way early next week.
Steve Blake expects to be back with the team Tuesday when L.A. hosts the Hornets. He broke the news himself in a post to his official Twitter account on Saturday.
— Steve Blake (@SteveBlake5) January 27, 2013
Blake has been sidelined since Nov. 11 with an abdominal strain that required surgery, followed by dealing with pain in his groin that required special plasma and cortisone shots to the area to relieve the discomfort.
Lakers head coach Mike D’Antoni didn’t confirm that Blake would be ready to return on Tuesday, but did say that at least he’s got a shot.
“He’s going to play pretty soon,” Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said when asked about Blake after practice. “I don’t know when that is, but he’s working his way back. I think he wants to get in some running (Saturday) so we’ll see how that goes. Everyday will be a test for him. If he keeps passing those barriers, then you’ll see him on the court pretty soon.”
Blake has played in only seven of his team’s games this season, while averaging 5.1 points, 2.4 rebounds, and 3.4 assists in 26 minutes per contest.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 12
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 13
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7