Jan 27, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Stephen Curry was the biggest name snubbed from the Western Conference All-Star team when the reserves, as voted on by the coaches, were announced last week. Curry’s improved play is a huge reason for the Warriors surge this season, and he’s emerged as one of the game’s purest shooters.
That last part is the reason that Curry has been invited to participate in this year’s three-point contest in Houston on All-Star Saturday night. But the fact that as of now, that’s the only event he would be participating in is making him think twice about accepting the invitation.
Stephen Curry has been extended an invitation from the NBA to participate in the three-point shootout during next month’s All-Star weekend, but he’s debating whether to head to Houston for just one event.
“It would be a big commitment heading down there for one event so I’m figuring out if I’m going to make that commitment,” Curry told RealGM on Saturday night.
Curry was essentially a lock to be invited, considering his numbers from three-point distance this season. He ranks second in the league shooting 45.4 percent from beyond the arc, and ranks third in attempts with 291 — 64 more than the player who holds the top spot in the percentage rankings, Kyle Korver.
Should one of the All-Stars selected be unable to play due to injury, Curry would more than likely be the first name called in as a replacement. If that happens, there’s no reason we wouldn’t then see him in the three-point contest, where he’d have to be considered one of the favorites.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29