Jan 27, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Stephen Curry was the biggest name snubbed from the Western Conference All-Star team when the reserves, as voted on by the coaches, were announced last week. Curry’s improved play is a huge reason for the Warriors surge this season, and he’s emerged as one of the game’s purest shooters.
That last part is the reason that Curry has been invited to participate in this year’s three-point contest in Houston on All-Star Saturday night. But the fact that as of now, that’s the only event he would be participating in is making him think twice about accepting the invitation.
Stephen Curry has been extended an invitation from the NBA to participate in the three-point shootout during next month’s All-Star weekend, but he’s debating whether to head to Houston for just one event.
“It would be a big commitment heading down there for one event so I’m figuring out if I’m going to make that commitment,” Curry told RealGM on Saturday night.
Curry was essentially a lock to be invited, considering his numbers from three-point distance this season. He ranks second in the league shooting 45.4 percent from beyond the arc, and ranks third in attempts with 291 — 64 more than the player who holds the top spot in the percentage rankings, Kyle Korver.
Should one of the All-Stars selected be unable to play due to injury, Curry would more than likely be the first name called in as a replacement. If that happens, there’s no reason we wouldn’t then see him in the three-point contest, where he’d have to be considered one of the favorites.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 1
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 14
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)