Jan 27, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Stephen Curry was the biggest name snubbed from the Western Conference All-Star team when the reserves, as voted on by the coaches, were announced last week. Curry’s improved play is a huge reason for the Warriors surge this season, and he’s emerged as one of the game’s purest shooters.
That last part is the reason that Curry has been invited to participate in this year’s three-point contest in Houston on All-Star Saturday night. But the fact that as of now, that’s the only event he would be participating in is making him think twice about accepting the invitation.
Stephen Curry has been extended an invitation from the NBA to participate in the three-point shootout during next month’s All-Star weekend, but he’s debating whether to head to Houston for just one event.
“It would be a big commitment heading down there for one event so I’m figuring out if I’m going to make that commitment,” Curry told RealGM on Saturday night.
Curry was essentially a lock to be invited, considering his numbers from three-point distance this season. He ranks second in the league shooting 45.4 percent from beyond the arc, and ranks third in attempts with 291 — 64 more than the player who holds the top spot in the percentage rankings, Kyle Korver.
Should one of the All-Stars selected be unable to play due to injury, Curry would more than likely be the first name called in as a replacement. If that happens, there’s no reason we wouldn’t then see him in the three-point contest, where he’d have to be considered one of the favorites.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 7
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 5
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 28
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2