Jan 27, 2013, 2:18 PM EST
Rondo was a late scratch for Sunday’s nationally televised home game against the Miami Heat.
Rondo is a double-double machine, and has been the only bright spot for a Celtics team that has struggled mightily offensively this season. He averages 13.7 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 11.1 assists, while playing 37.4 minutes per game.
Rondo was voted in by the fans as a starter for the Eastern Conference All-Star team, but now the commissioner will be forced to choose a replacement from the list of those who were ultimately snubbed.
It will be interesting to see what the Celtics do at the trade deadline in light of this news. The previous thinking was along the lines of considering to bolster the roster to make one more run with the current core intact, but with Rondo out and the team’s postseason chances severely diminished, they may look to launch into a full-fledged rebuilding of the team instead.
Courtney Lee started in place of Rondo against the Heat on Sunday.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 4
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11