Jan 27, 2013, 2:18 PM EST
Rondo was a late scratch for Sunday’s nationally televised home game against the Miami Heat.
Rondo is a double-double machine, and has been the only bright spot for a Celtics team that has struggled mightily offensively this season. He averages 13.7 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 11.1 assists, while playing 37.4 minutes per game.
Rondo was voted in by the fans as a starter for the Eastern Conference All-Star team, but now the commissioner will be forced to choose a replacement from the list of those who were ultimately snubbed.
It will be interesting to see what the Celtics do at the trade deadline in light of this news. The previous thinking was along the lines of considering to bolster the roster to make one more run with the current core intact, but with Rondo out and the team’s postseason chances severely diminished, they may look to launch into a full-fledged rebuilding of the team instead.
Courtney Lee started in place of Rondo against the Heat on Sunday.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13