Celtics confirm Rajon Rondo has torn ACL, out for the season

Jan 27, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

An MRI on Sunday confirmed the Celtics’ fears. Rajon Rondo has a torn right ACL and is officially done for the rest of the season, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN New England.

Rondo was a late scratch for Sunday’s nationally televised home game against the Miami Heat.

While the return of Ray Allen was the big story heading into this one, news about Rondo’s injury and where the Celtics go from here is what will now dominate the headlines.

Rondo originally suffered the injury during Friday’s crushing loss to the Hawks, which was diagnosed as a hyperextended right knee.

Rondo is a double-double machine, and has been the only bright spot for a Celtics team that has struggled mightily offensively this season. He averages 13.7 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 11.1 assists, while playing 37.4 minutes per game.

Rondo was voted in by the fans as a starter for the Eastern Conference All-Star team, but now the commissioner will be forced to choose a replacement from the list of those who were ultimately snubbed.

It will be interesting to see what the Celtics do at the trade deadline in light of this news. The previous thinking was along the lines of considering to bolster the roster to make one more run with the current core intact, but with Rondo out and the team’s postseason chances severely diminished, they may look to launch into a full-fledged rebuilding of the team instead.

Courtney Lee started in place of Rondo against the Heat on Sunday.

1. mungman69 - Jan 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM

A great player. He will also miss some of next season.

2. mungman69 - Jan 27, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Can the Celtics fall below the Sixers? Wow, injuries are part of the game but wow.

• doctorhoops - Jan 27, 2013 at 7:46 PM

The race goes not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but time and circumstance affects us all.

Odds just got much, much longer.. Here’s to a speedy and complete recovery, RR. Celtics Nation is pulling for you.

3. giselleisasucubus - Jan 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I feel for the kid, but the reaction is WAY overboard. People keep pointing to his assists and how he makes the offense go, but those numbers are not nearly as great as they appear. You know why the Celtics didn’t get Paul for Rondo? Because it isn’t even close from a talent perspective. The Celtics, since allowing Rondo to run his “freestyle” offense, have steadily dropped in PPG and have really been a terrible offense all year. He gambles way too much on defense, dribbles WAY too much, and he sets an awful pace. I completely expect everyone to disagree because everyone nowadays simply look at the numbers, don’t really watch the games and then give an opinion. The truth is, Rondo is better when he plays within the team offense and defense, and allowing him to dominate the ball and freelance on defense has killed the Celtics. It is not a coincidence that the Celtics beat the Heat without Rondo. They were getting into their offensive sets w/16-18 seconds on the shot clock and the ball moved until it found an open shooter. That doesn’t happen when Rondo is in the game, and guys start to get less involved. People will also say to me “Rondo is shooting over 50%” but the truth is, does he hit shots when the Celtics need them? Nope. How many times has Rondo given up a layup to kick out for an assist? Too many times. Sorry, I hate to be that guy, but Rondo’ freestyle offense is going to be exposed in the next three months, because the Celtics offense is going to IMPROVE w/Rondo out. Also, PG’s throughout the league threw up when they realized that Bradley would be moving over to the 1 for the rest of 2012/13. Again, nobody is going to agree with me (just like when I told u guys the Lakers were flawed and couldn’t hold the 03/04 lakers jock) but trust me, Boston is going to be fine and will be dangerous in the playoffs again. Watch out for Sullinger; I think his #’s jump because of the focus being moved to the post.

4. rjlink1 - Jan 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM

This sucks. As a Lakers fan, I want to hate-watch the Celtics, not pity-watch them.

5. somekat - Jan 27, 2013 at 7:03 PM

That’s it for the C’s this year, and maybe for this roster as is for good

6. thenmoveback - Jan 27, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I don’t like the guy but u never want to see a good player get hurt.

7. doublezero74 - Jan 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Maybe the celts are done this year. And maybe LBJ breaks his vagina and the heat all of sudden suck. You never know

8. beatsbythe0ne - Jan 27, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Rondo was having an Mvp season .. Hope he comes back strong!!

*MR FREE BEATS*

9. mazblast - Jan 27, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I don’t like the Celtics, but this SUCKS. I respect the guy as a gamer even if I don’t like him or his team.

Have the surgery ASAP, follow the medical staff’s regimen, and I hope you come back at full strength some time next year. You’re a heck of a player, Rondo.

10. warriors2533 - Jan 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Little light with a win vs heat

11. jhuck92 - Jan 27, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Too many triple-doubles? I hope he gets better and learns from this. He could be so much better if he just got humbled. And it looks like Steph Curry is going to his first All-Star game.

• andyhr17 - Jan 28, 2013 at 4:58 AM

I’m not sure if you’re aware, but ligaments don’t tear from a “lack of being humble”. I mean, I’m no doctor, but I consulted WebMD and they back me up on this.

Also, what does Steph Curry going to the All Star game have anything to do with Rondo’s knee injury? They’re in different conferences.

• jhuck92 - Jan 28, 2013 at 6:12 AM

And I’m not sure if *you’re* aware, but I’m a huge Rondo fan. It kills me and my fantasy team to see him go down for the season like this, but he could be so much better as a player and leader if he learned some humility. Or at least not be so immature.

• andyhr17 - Jan 28, 2013 at 6:16 AM

My apologies to you and your fantasy team.

12. kavika6 - Jan 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Crap. Now the Celtics will have an excuse for their terrible season. I hope everyone remembers that they were terrible long before this injury.

13. Mr. Wright 212 - Jan 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Boston will still make the playoffs and push Miami to seven games, again.

14. numba1recx19 - Jan 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Woah seems more likely Rodney Stuckey goes to Boston, as much as i dont want him to, his time in the D is probs over

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches