Jan 27, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Ray Allen, frustrated with being benched for Avery Bradley and hearing his name in trade rumors (and sometimes more than rumors, they once told him it was done only to have it come undone), took less money to leave Boston for a team where he felt wanted — the rival Miami Heat.
That went over in Boston about as well as thrashing Bobby Orr. Even Kevin Garnett “lost” Allen’s phone number.
Sunday “Benedict Allen” and the rest of the Heat come to Boston and you can bet Allen is going to hear all about it. Doc Rivers says Allen should be treated like a king, but it is much more likely other four-letter words will fly his way.
Allen — averaging 11.4 points a game in 25.5 minutes off the Heat bench — played in Boston long enough to know what is coming, but told A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com he’s not too worried about it.
‘It’s an interesting concept because I’ve always gotten a warm welcome (in Boston),” Allen told reporters in Miami. “Even before I started playing there. I just want to win. Everything else will take care of itself.”
It’s really Allen’s old team the Celtics that need the win — they have lost six in a row and in the last five games the already struggling Celtics offense has averaged just 93.5 points per 100 possessions, dead last in the NBA. Their defense is good, but no defense can fully make up for that lack of production.
Celtics fans could get part of what they want — Allen has struggled on the road this season, shooting just 34.7 percent from three away from Miami. I still wouldn’t leave him alone in the corner and let him shoot, but he could have an off day.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights