Jan 27, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Ray Allen, frustrated with being benched for Avery Bradley and hearing his name in trade rumors (and sometimes more than rumors, they once told him it was done only to have it come undone), took less money to leave Boston for a team where he felt wanted — the rival Miami Heat.
That went over in Boston about as well as thrashing Bobby Orr. Even Kevin Garnett “lost” Allen’s phone number.
Sunday “Benedict Allen” and the rest of the Heat come to Boston and you can bet Allen is going to hear all about it. Doc Rivers says Allen should be treated like a king, but it is much more likely other four-letter words will fly his way.
Allen — averaging 11.4 points a game in 25.5 minutes off the Heat bench — played in Boston long enough to know what is coming, but told A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com he’s not too worried about it.
‘It’s an interesting concept because I’ve always gotten a warm welcome (in Boston),” Allen told reporters in Miami. “Even before I started playing there. I just want to win. Everything else will take care of itself.”
It’s really Allen’s old team the Celtics that need the win — they have lost six in a row and in the last five games the already struggling Celtics offense has averaged just 93.5 points per 100 possessions, dead last in the NBA. Their defense is good, but no defense can fully make up for that lack of production.
Celtics fans could get part of what they want — Allen has struggled on the road this season, shooting just 34.7 percent from three away from Miami. I still wouldn’t leave him alone in the corner and let him shoot, but he could have an off day.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 13
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 28
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 5
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23