Jan 27, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Ray Allen, frustrated with being benched for Avery Bradley and hearing his name in trade rumors (and sometimes more than rumors, they once told him it was done only to have it come undone), took less money to leave Boston for a team where he felt wanted — the rival Miami Heat.
That went over in Boston about as well as thrashing Bobby Orr. Even Kevin Garnett “lost” Allen’s phone number.
Sunday “Benedict Allen” and the rest of the Heat come to Boston and you can bet Allen is going to hear all about it. Doc Rivers says Allen should be treated like a king, but it is much more likely other four-letter words will fly his way.
Allen — averaging 11.4 points a game in 25.5 minutes off the Heat bench — played in Boston long enough to know what is coming, but told A. Sherrod Blakely at CSNNE.com he’s not too worried about it.
‘It’s an interesting concept because I’ve always gotten a warm welcome (in Boston),” Allen told reporters in Miami. “Even before I started playing there. I just want to win. Everything else will take care of itself.”
It’s really Allen’s old team the Celtics that need the win — they have lost six in a row and in the last five games the already struggling Celtics offense has averaged just 93.5 points per 100 possessions, dead last in the NBA. Their defense is good, but no defense can fully make up for that lack of production.
Celtics fans could get part of what they want — Allen has struggled on the road this season, shooting just 34.7 percent from three away from Miami. I still wouldn’t leave him alone in the corner and let him shoot, but he could have an off day.
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 1
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 7
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 23
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 7
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 42