Celtics players (and LeBron) react to Rondo’s ACL injury

Jan 27, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT

Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett AP

Nobody wants to see a player go down with an ACL injury, particularly a fantastic player like Rajon Rondo.

Not true basketball fans, who will be robbed of the chance to watch Rondo control the game for a year (and really longer because it takes a while to return to your old self.

Not NBA players, who see themselves in a brotherhood and realize livelihoods are at stake and you don’t want to see those taken away.

The feelings of those players came through in comments after the game collected by A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.

Boston’s Jeff Green: “He’s our leader, and it hurt. It’s tough to hear that news, one of our top players go down. We have to be there for him. We just have to continue to build. Everyone collectively has to step up.”

Boston’s Kevin Garnett: “It’s tough; tough on everybody. He’s becoming the heart and soul of this team. He’s coming into his own. It’s a blow man, I’m not gonna front. It’s a blow.”

Boston’s Paul Pierce: “You have a lot of mixed emotions in here. You want to celebrate the win but you now you feel for y9our teammate, a leader. Pretty much wherever he goes, we go. It’s hard knowing that he’s going to be out for the year. It’s a tough pill to swallow.”

Miami’s LeBron James: “”It sucks. It’s terrible. As much as a competitor and as much as I’ve been a rival with Boston over the years, I never want to see anyone go down and knowing the competitor that he is and knowing how talented he is, I think it’s terrible. Not only for their team but for the league.” – Miami forward LeBron James

1. aklolzer - Jan 27, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Meh, rondo can suck pine for awhile

• xstar42 - Jan 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Now celtic fans knows how we bulls fans feel about losing our best player.
      But the bulls are doing a great job without D rose but the celtics are going to suck
      without Rondo hahaha :)

2. loungefly74 - Jan 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM

huge ramafications. the braintrust in Boston have a lot to think about…rebuild, throwaway the current year, trades,etc…who knows.

3. dko83 - Jan 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM

It’s official Lebron, you’ve won me back. Going back to being in mourning…

4. mazblast - Jan 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Not a Rondo fan, not a Celtics fan, but this stinks. I hate to see anyone injured this seriously, especially a fine player like him. I’m looking forward to his healthy, successful return in 9-12 months or so.

5. yousuxxors - Jan 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM

besides the whole decision thing, its really hard to hate lebron

6. urunclebwn - Jan 27, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I’m probably the last person to give praise to ‘Bron, but this is now the second time he’s been all classy in comments regarding an opposing player’s injury. First Rose went down, and now Rondo. He’s had ample reason to criticize them, but he’s been very respectful. Looks like he really is maturing.

7. furiouslytim - Jan 28, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Sorry…how are Paul’s emotions “mixed”?

• andyhr17 - Jan 28, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Because they won the game, but lost Rondo. They asked him about it right after the game.

8. ultichiva - Jan 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM

it’s settled then.
    KNICKERBOCKERS vs EL Heat..for the eastern Conf.

9. dreamzilla - Jan 28, 2013 at 3:19 AM

the wrong guy in Rondo blew out his knee…shoulda be LeChump

10. andyhr17 - Jan 28, 2013 at 3:37 AM

This is not a shot at LeBron or even how I think he really feels, but what do you expect him to say? What NBA player who has been groomed to deal with the media would say “Good! I’m glad he’s out! They’re our hated rivals and I’m glad their team is done!”

• michaeljordanseviltwin - Jan 28, 2013 at 4:30 AM

Garnett is the only guy capable of saying that but he wouldn’t say it on record. Instead Charlie Villanueva would tweet his comments.

11. knickstape84 - Jan 28, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Sucks for anyone to tear there ACL but he will be back b4 Christmas… i have heard it is like RG3 something that can heal in a short amount of time….

• andyhr17 - Jan 28, 2013 at 4:27 AM

I think NFL and NBA are different when it comes to this kind of injury. There is a lot more impact on the knee in basketball. There is so must more running and cutting and jumping that you need it to be completely healthy to be effective. I’d be pleasantly surprised if he were back by Christmas.

12. raidmagic - Jan 28, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I’ve got to think it isn’t as bad a tear as normally seen. When Rose went down it was a done deal, knee but Rondo’s

didn’t seem that severe. Hopefully the surgery is not as intense and he can get back quickly.

13. thestewman3 - Jan 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM

As a Miami Heat fan, this really puts the luster on the rivalry. When I heard the Rondo wasn’t playing I didn’t even bother to watch the entire game (which I missed a great second half!). It’s in my DNA to hate the Knicks, Lakers & Celtics, but I never wish to see a star player go down with this type of injury. Just look at the Bulls, it’s not as fun beating them anymore without Rose in the lineup.

14. jimeejohnson - Jan 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM

“Hate” is in your DNA…no wonder aliens are not interested in this planet full of hateful humans.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches