Jan 26, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
The Rockets have reinstated rookie Royce White, the team and player announced together via a joint release.
White was suspended by the Rockets back on Jan. 6 for “refusing to provide services as required by his Uniform Player Contract,” with a refusal to report for a D-League assignment right at the top of the list.
It was reported a few days ago that he was close to reaching an agreement with the team to return.
White has been open and honest about his struggles dealing with an anxiety disorder from the very beginning, and wanted certain protocols put into place to provide what he considers to be a safe environment for him to pursue his NBA career.
The way he went about it, however, by ranting on Twitter and engaging anyone who had an interest, likely made this process take a lot longer than it should have.
The official release, in its entirety, reads as follows:
Houston Rockets and Royce White have today reached an agreement that addresses the major issues that they have been discussing, provides a new start, and gives Royce the best opportunity for long term success as a Houston Rocket.
This has been a learning process for both parties.
The NBA and the National Basketball Players Association have approved the settlement.
Royce is no longer suspended and is re-instated effective immediately.
He will report to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers on February 11, 2013.
If everything has truly been addressed, then we’ll find out if White will be able to perform at the professional level once he begins his D-League assignment.
It could be months, though, before the Rockets truly find out whether or not he’s more trouble than he’s worth.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4